Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

HDRP - Weird pixelated lighting bug (?)

Discussion in 'Graphics Experimental Previews' started by PhilSA, Jul 5, 2019.

1. PhilSA

PhilSA

I encountered a problem while testing out the HDRP today. It seems that lighting starts becoming all buggy and pixelated in sections of the level with a lot of lights. This issue happens both in Deferred or Forward, and removing all the fancy effects (volumetrics, SSR, AO, etc....) does not change anything. But the issue disappears if I only have like 10 lights in the level

Here's a video:

And you can see from the gizmos here how the lights in this corridor are arranged (24 in this section, 50 in total for the level). They are all realtime point lights with no shadows and no volumetrics and no lightmap/GI baking whatsoever. Changing them to rectangular area lights causes the same problem. And the only shadowcaster in the scene is the directional light

And here are my pipeline settings:

HDRP version: 6.5.2
    Unity version: 2019.2.0b7

2. elbows

elbows

Any particular reason you are still on 6.5.2?

A bunch of versions came out since then, eg 6.7.1 via normal package manager, 6.8.1 if you set package manager registry to staging.

I dont know if it will fix your issue, and usual caveats about backing up project first apply, but there have been a lot of fixes and changes since 6.5.2. (eg see changelog at https://github.com/Unity-Technologi...render-pipelines.high-definition/CHANGELOG.md )

Last edited: Jul 5, 2019
    PhilSA likes this.
  3. laurent-h

laurent-h

You're probably hitting the limit of lights per tile allowed by HDRP which is 24.
    You should keep the number of lights affecting one tile under 24.
    You can check this number by using the Render Pipeline Debug window (Window / analysis / Render Pipeline Debug)
    And setting it up like so :
    upload_2019-7-8_13-43-15.png

PhilSA likes this.
  4. PhilSA

PhilSA

thanks, that definitely is what's causing my issue

Is there a way to control the tiles setup or the amount of lights allowed per tile?

5. laurent-h

laurent-h

I think going over 24 would require us to do a second lighting pass which might be possible in the future but right now this is a hard limit.
    If you're making a game this is a fairly high limit, in practice on many platforms you cannot run correctly with that many lights per tile.
    This is usually easily solved by lowering light ranges so that all of your lights don't affect all the tiles all the time.

Tagashy likes this.
  6. johannesgaebler

johannesgaebler

I run into the exact same issue, with the same settings enabled but the maximum number of lights per tile is 6. The problem doesn't depend on the tile number too.
    Any ideas?
    Thanks!

7. Ruchir

Ruchir

Hey i just wanted to ask what settings were you using for SSR because no matter what I do I don't get decent looking reflection until I set the quality to maximum :(

8. Thall33

Thall33

for me it turns out the range was set to a crazy high amount - reduced the range of a bunch of prefabs with lights and it's back to normal