Search Unity

1. Unity 6 Preview is now available. To find out what's new, have a look at our Unity 6 Preview blog post.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity is excited to announce that we will be collaborating with TheXPlace for a summer game jam from June 13 - June 19. Learn more.
    Dismiss Notice

Question HDRP Water Mesh

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by Ndogg27, Apr 11, 2024.

1. Ndogg27

Ndogg27

I am using the HDRP Water Surfaces and would really like to apply water to specific meshes in my project. But, the meshes import with a 90d rotation and the water system doesn't seem to allow rotations. The only thing that seems to work would be fixing the meshes in a modeling software and reimporting it? It would be amazing if someone had a solution I could do within Unity?

Note: The software I am creating my original models in does not have any export options and uses a different coordinates system from Unity. I am simply able to export as an obj and get what I get...

Last edited: Apr 11, 2024
  2. POOKSHANK

POOKSHANK

i'm assuming you're using blender so if this isn't the case feel free to ignore this.

when exporting your model in blender, there's a way to specify the directions your model should be facing in the transform tab on the right. i believe blender swaps the y and z, so make the corrections required, and there will be no need to have your blender model rotated.

i don't know of a way to do this in unity without rotating an object.

Ndogg27 likes this.
  3. Ndogg27

Ndogg27

I will update my original post with clarification because that is a valid answer. In my case though, I am exporting obj files from an building design software that doesn't give you any export options. In order to rotate the original model, it would have to be imported into blender or similar, then brought into Unity.

4. POOKSHANK

POOKSHANK

i haven't used hdrp water, so i don't really know if this would mess with it, but you could just put it in an empty object and rotate that.

i wish there were a better way, but this is just one of those quirky 3d things.

Ndogg27 likes this.
  5. Ndogg27

Ndogg27

That's the trouble with Unity's HDRP water, it only rotates around the y axis. Even when placed in a gameobject as you suggested, it will not rotate along the X axis. It looks like it's coded to maintain a level surface. :mad:
    upload_2024-4-10_22-6-56.png

6. POOKSHANK

POOKSHANK

i think sadly you're gonna have to juggle modelling softwares all day and night, r.i.p. iteration time

hopefully someone more knowledgeable than me comes along and sets the record straight

Ndogg27 likes this.
  7. Ndogg27

Ndogg27

I'm afraid you might be right :(