Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice

HDRP vs SD Environment Lighting Comparison - Environment lighting severly lacking

Discussion in 'Graphics Experimental Previews' started by SGFX, Jan 29, 2019.

1. SGFX

SGFX

Hey,
    I made a comparison between SD and HDRP environment lighting
    Maybe Im doing something wrong but I just can't get a acceptable result or change my
    shadows from black without a 1-3 hour bake

Right now the SD Pipeline is worlds ahead on this:

I hope this is still a bug and not some sort of "X are not realistic so we won't do it" mindset, people will definitely need the creative freedom

We need to decide very soon if we want to go with HDRP for our new project or SD, could you please tell me if that is coming back or working as intended?

2. Remy_Unity

Remy_Unity

Unity Technologies

This should totally work.
    For example, adding the default sky with HDRP by doing : "Add GameObject / Rendering / Scene Settings" should light up the black areas.
    How did you add your settings ? Is the volume Global ? Have you added the "baking sky" component (needed to identify the sky type use as environment lighting) ?

3. SGFX

SGFX

Hey,
    Actually I can get it to work on my work PC doing the exact same thing, It seems something with the new terrain shader is causing the issue, I triple checked everything. Actually non terrain meshes seem to work. Strangely the terrain shader works at my work PC

As you can see, the HDRP Terrain shader is not affected, while the mesh using default shader works. 2019.1

4. Goatogrammetry

Goatogrammetry

I'm keeping my eye on this. I cant get any of the controls to affect the indirect light at all. 1999 black shadows everywhere. But its not a terrain shader issue with me.-- I'm just using lit and lit-layered shaders. 2018.3

If its just that I don't know what I'm doing, I suggest a total rework of the UI. I'm not completely clueless, so if I cant figure it out.... Who's this for? I'm hoping its just that something is broken. I had a lot more fun and freedom in the SRP messing with lighting.

5. teutonicus

teutonicus

It all works fine for me in 2018.3, HDRP 4.6. UI and workflow is still a bit janky though. Some troubleshooting tips that I find help things:
    1. In Lighting settings, under "Generate Lighting" drop down button, click "Clear Baked Data"
    2. Make sure that the correct sky is selected in your Volume settings, under both "Visual Environment" and "Baking Sky"
    Then everything should be synced and you can go and bake realtime GI etc.