Search Unity

HDRP + VR - Target Eye - None (Main Display)

Discussion in 'High Definition Render Pipeline' started by rtilton1, Mar 24, 2020.

1. rtilton1

rtilton1

In the default Unity pipeline - it's easy to create a scene with a VR camera rig and then create an additional camera as a 3rd person cam that will display on a computer monitor when the .exe is running. This allows one user to see the stereo vr camera rig when wearing the headset while others outside of VR can see the scene from a 3rd person view. To do this I'd just set my additional 3rd person camera to Target eye > None (Main Display)

With HDRP - the camera no longer has a "Target Eye" property. Thus I can't create a 3rd person camera. I tried changing the depth of the camera, but then it overrides the VR camera viewer. Any idea how I can achieve this with HDRP?

Any advice or leads would be appreciated...

2. fabien-unity

fabien-unity

Unity Technologies

Hi,
    Right, at the moment all cameras will render in VR unless they have a render texture.
    We're working on improving this. Stay tuned !

Fabien

3. fabien-unity

fabien-unity

Unity Technologies

4. rtilton1

rtilton1

@fabien-unity YOU ARE THE BEST!!!! I used your PR's and it worked!!! I'm so grateful for your help as I can now launch my project without porting it to the default pipeline. Thank you, thank you, thank you!!

My only feedback is that it would be ideal if I could also target my 3rd person cam (camera with XR Rendering off) to receive post effects and also target my XR camera to *not* receive post effects. This would improve my FPS as it would only be applied to 1 camera rather than 3 cameras (each eye and 3rd person cam). I know this is possible in the default pipeline, but targeting post effects doesn't seem to be an option with HDRP.

Regardless of the post-effects - being able to do render textures, 3rd person cameras and proper camera culling - opens a huge range of possibilities for me with HDRP and VR! I have several projects in the works that will all use this. Thank you so much!!!

5. fabien-unity

fabien-unity

Unity Technologies

6. rtilton1

rtilton1

Ahh - that's wonderful. Just got a 30fps boost from removing those post effects from the VR camera. Thanks! I'll keep you posted if anything new comes up in the future. This is wonderful!!

7. rtilton1

rtilton1

8. fabien-unity

fabien-unity

Unity Technologies

9. rtilton1

rtilton1

Got it! Thanks! Will do that.

10. simozampa

simozampa

@fabien-unity Hi, I am experiencing the same issue but the GitHub link is not working anymore.
    What should I do?

11. eizenhorn

eizenhorn

12. simozampa

simozampa

@eizenhorn Thanks for the link but I can't find pull #6372. Any suggestion?

13. SebLagarde

SebLagarde

Unity Technologies

The PR is already merged in the mainline and backported for next 8.1.0 packages. So it doesn't exist in Graphics. you can still cherry pick the commit of the PR if you need.

14. Soundguy

Soundguy

How do i make my camera not render into VR and be used as the main camera on the PC - using URP in unity 2020.1 ?

15. korinVR

korinVR

Hi, I'm facing the same issue. I couldn't find the method to use the HDRP 3rd person camera from this thread. And I would like to know whether it is possible on URP.

16. Usernotfound8

Usernotfound8

I just figured it out in URP try going to the debug settings and setting target eye = 0 (for nonVR cameras just like you do in the regular render pipeline). Hope this helps!

17. beijerxingredient

beijerxingredient

Hi the latest pull request is numbered #2441? Am I missing something.

Or is there another way to get a non-VR view on an external monitor?

Thanks!

18. Soundguy

Soundguy

how do yo uaccess these debug settings?

19. Trailzendesigns

Trailzendesigns

In URP, you can switch the inspector to debug display (top right ... menu on the inspector pane), and you will be able to access the TargetEye setting for your spectator camera. Set it to '0' for 'none-(main display)'. Probably works the same for HDRP

Jordylicious and CharlstonChew like this.
  20. Jordylicious

Jordylicious

I've been looking everywhere for this! Thank you so much!

21. scot9000

scot9000

Could you tell me how I access the commit?
    I'm trying to render a camera with HDRP 10.5.1 on one eye only, but it keeps rendering on both eye when I change the Target Eye settings in the debug inspector view. Using Unity XR plugin management in Unity 2020.3.16f1.

22. BinariJames

BinariJames

Hello, how can I get the fix for this? Link to PR is broken. I am using 2019.4.31f1 and can't render a spectator camera in VR, which makes it difficult to get quality screen captures

23. frpe1

frpe1

I have land into the same issue as above!. Is there any fix for this yet ?

24. TheCoreOfTheEarth

TheCoreOfTheEarth

I'm also having this issue in 2021.2.11f1. What was the fix PR's commit?
    And setting the target view to 0 in the debug inspector doesn't work for me unfortunately.