Search Unity

1. New Unity Live Help updates. Check them out here!

Dismiss Notice

HDRP + VR - Target Eye - None (Main Display)

Discussion in 'High Definition Render Pipeline' started by rtilton1, Mar 24, 2020.

1. rtilton1

rtilton1

In the default Unity pipeline - it's easy to create a scene with a VR camera rig and then create an additional camera as a 3rd person cam that will display on a computer monitor when the .exe is running. This allows one user to see the stereo vr camera rig when wearing the headset while others outside of VR can see the scene from a 3rd person view. To do this I'd just set my additional 3rd person camera to Target eye > None (Main Display)

With HDRP - the camera no longer has a "Target Eye" property. Thus I can't create a 3rd person camera. I tried changing the depth of the camera, but then it overrides the VR camera viewer. Any idea how I can achieve this with HDRP?

Any advice or leads would be appreciated...

2. fabien-unity

fabien-unity

Unity Technologies

Hi,
    Right, at the moment all cameras will render in VR unless they have a render texture.
    We're working on improving this. Stay tuned !

Fabien

3. fabien-unity

fabien-unity

Unity Technologies

4. rtilton1

rtilton1

@fabien-unity YOU ARE THE BEST!!!! I used your PR's and it worked!!! I'm so grateful for your help as I can now launch my project without porting it to the default pipeline. Thank you, thank you, thank you!!

My only feedback is that it would be ideal if I could also target my 3rd person cam (camera with XR Rendering off) to receive post effects and also target my XR camera to *not* receive post effects. This would improve my FPS as it would only be applied to 1 camera rather than 3 cameras (each eye and 3rd person cam). I know this is possible in the default pipeline, but targeting post effects doesn't seem to be an option with HDRP.

Regardless of the post-effects - being able to do render textures, 3rd person cameras and proper camera culling - opens a huge range of possibilities for me with HDRP and VR! I have several projects in the works that will all use this. Thank you so much!!!

5. fabien-unity

fabien-unity

Unity Technologies

6. rtilton1

rtilton1

Ahh - that's wonderful. Just got a 30fps boost from removing those post effects from the VR camera. Thanks! I'll keep you posted if anything new comes up in the future. This is wonderful!!

7. rtilton1

rtilton1

8. fabien-unity

fabien-unity

Unity Technologies

9. rtilton1

rtilton1

Got it! Thanks! Will do that.

unityunity