Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice

HDRP VR Subsurface not working

Discussion in 'Graphics Experimental Previews' started by ccsander, Apr 1, 2019.

1. ccsander

ccsander

The screenspace portion of subsurface rendering does not seem to be working in VR. It is described as a screenspace blur effect in this document https://github.com/Unity-Technologies/ScriptableRenderPipeline/wiki/Subsurface-Scattering It is pretty clear it does not work in VR. It is easily testable by switching from desktop view camera to a VR camera as seeing how different it looks.

I'm running 2019.3.11f1 and 4.10.0-preview of HDRP. I didn't see this in the list of known issues or features that are not working on the VR HDRP page, so I'm wondering if I did something wrong or if it just has not been reported. Anyone have any success with this?

Thanks!
    ccs

2. rz_0lento

rz_0lento

3. ccsander

ccsander

Thank you. I was familiar with that wiki page, but your note prompted me to look more and I dug through the commit logs and also tried out 2019.1 beta + 5.X. There seem to be even more problems in latest release on 5.X, so I think the simple answer is that things are in flux and I shouldn't expect everything to work just yet.

The only thing I'm left wondering is what features in HDRP are never planned to work in VR.

4. rz_0lento

rz_0lento

That sounds weird. You sure you used new HDRP PP when you tested it? HDRP 5.3+ totally ignores the old PP package. It only uses it's own internal PP. If you want to test bleeding edge, 6.6.0-preview HDRP package is on github and staging registry and it runs on 2019.2 alpha. It's probably best place to try most recent HDRP VR codebase right now.

5. ccsander

ccsander

Here is what I did to try out 5.X

1. Created a brand new project using latest 2019.1 beta - 2019.1.0b9 (it seems to use HDRP package 5.7.2). I selected HDRP from project type.
    2. I messed around with the wood material in the example scene to try to add subsurface effects. I could not get it to produce any subsurface scatter effect at all in scene view or main camera. There was also odd issue when assigning the SSSSettings_Skin or other diffusion profile to the material in the inspector. It would not stay assigned.

I just went back and messed around some more and if I turn of Exposure in post-process everything is completely blown out, so perhaps this is just a problem with the example scene not being updated properly. I'll hack around some more. Thanks for the continued help!