Search Unity

[HDRP + VR] MSAA/Forward Rendering causes stereo effect in one eye

Discussion in 'VR' started by Eli-Davis, Jul 10, 2019.

1. Eli-Davis

Eli-Davis

Has anyone had this issue located in this thread? The issues with MSAA is the only thing keeping me from upgrading my VR project to 2019.

Summary of the problem is that when using MSAA in VR, both eyes start rendering to the left eye, and the right eye goes black.

2. fabien-unity

fabien-unity

Unity Technologies

(edited)

I'd suggest following the recommendations from this thread.

As a recap:
    2019.1 : only single-pass (double-wide) is supported and MSAA is NOT compatible with it (broken)
    2019.2+ : multi-pass and single-pass (instancing) are supported but single-pass (double-wide) is not

Last edited: Jul 16, 2019
  3. Eli-Davis

Eli-Davis

Right. In 2019.1.9f1 I created a new project with the HDRP template. It uses HDRP 5.7.2 preview by default. I enabled VR in Player settings and set it to single pass (double-wide). I then went to the HDRenderPipelineAsset and changed Lit Shader Mode to Forward Only, and Multisample Anti-aliasing Quality to 4x. I then checked the box for "MSAA within Forward", and I end up with the issue.

My HMD is the original Vive (steam VR is not imported into the project, but importing it doesn't change anything).

Last edited: Jul 10, 2019
  4. Benjams

Benjams

Unity Technologies

Thanks for taking the time to post your detailed repro steps! We were able to reproduce this with your workflow and have opened a ticket to resolve this issue.

5. Benjams

Benjams

Unity Technologies

Unfortunately we won't be able to fix this issue in the 2019.1 package. We suggest upgrading to 2019.2 where this issue appears to be resolved.

ROBYER1 likes this.
  6. Eli-Davis

Eli-Davis

Thanks for the update!