Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice

HDRP Volumetric Lighting

Discussion in 'Graphics Experimental Previews' started by jjejj87, Jun 23, 2018.

1. jjejj87

jjejj87

I just have a quick question for the HDRP team:

Regarding volumetric lighting, is atmospheric scattering considered part of the volumetric lighting? Or is it a separate feature to be worked on at a later stage?

I ask this because

1) The current implementation in the latest HDRP doesn't seem to include this feature
    2) The book of the dead scene seems to be using Atmospheric Scattering from the blacksmith demo.

I am slightly confused as to what is going on with atmospheric scattering.

Thank you in advance!

konsic likes this.
  2. JakubSmaga

JakubSmaga

3. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

This is because the volumetric system was not ready in time.

Volumetric lighting is ready now and I use it for "atmospheric scattering" as well as local volumetric lighting. The density volumes let you control the effect locally, but it could use more options.

4. jjejj87

jjejj87

hippocoder, I want to ask if volumetric lighting and atmospheric scatter is the same thing. Are they?

5. Grimreaper358

Grimreaper358

So Volumetric lighting is to replace Atmospheric Scattering? For the light rays it works fine but if someone wanted true Atmospheric scattering with Rayleigh and Mie scattering, volumetric lighting alone won't pull that off. Especially for an open world/large landscape scene with a day and night cycle, etc. Unless that's left to whoever wants to implement it for their project

6. jjejj87

jjejj87

This is what I curious about and it doesn't apply specifically to large scenes, it could have very different results for small scenes as well - it will be less pronounced though.

Nevertheless, I am just not sure about what "volumetrics" entail according to the Roadmap. Does it include atmospheric scattering or is that to be developed at a later stage? Furthermore is atmospheric scattering with Rayleigh and Mie scattering even planned?

Here is DeepHaze (now deprecated for reasons I have no idea) which was my go-to asset for Atmospheric scattering.