Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice

HDRP Upgrade Issue (Black and white high contrast materials)

Discussion in 'Graphics Experimental Previews' started by Luke_Fenturi, Oct 5, 2018.

1. Luke_Fenturi

Luke_Fenturi

Hi All,

I have followed the instructions to upgrade a project to HDRP and all was going well untill material conversion.
    After converting all the materials they became high contrasted black and white and my scene turned all black meshes.

Attached is a screenshot showing the issue, is there anything anyone can think of I may have done wrong? Also creating a new material has the same issue of having a black and white high contrast preview.

My colour space at the moment is linear if that makes a difference.

Regards,
    luke

Attached Files:

2. SebLagarde

SebLagarde

Unity Technologies

Hi,

is HDRP asset correctly setup in the GraphicSettings? Also it seems you have error in the console on the screenshots, so maybe the HDRP doesn't compile?

Have you try to use playmode or restart the editor?

3. Luke_Fenturi

Luke_Fenturi

Hi Seb,

I have followed a guide to set it up creating the hdrp asset, attaching it as the scriptable render asset in the graphics settings, then the materials turned pink as advertised and then I use the tool to upgrade materials to hdrp and this happens. The error is about emissive number on the converted materials. I have tried restarting the editor to no luck. I am about to try the process again in the latest beta to see if there is any difference.

4. Luke_Fenturi

Luke_Fenturi

Also to add when creating a new scene with hdrp in the beta, the 'environment lightning' settings do not appear where as in my converted scene they are still there even tho these settings are not reflected in the preview

5. Luke_Fenturi

Luke_Fenturi

I can confirm that the same project in beta 2018.3b4 using HDRP 4.0.1 worked perfectly fine. 2018.2.11 with HDRP 3.3.0 fails.

6. rz_0lento

rz_0lento

7. Luke_Fenturi

Luke_Fenturi

My apologies it is 3.0.0 on 2.11

8. Luke_Fenturi

Luke_Fenturi

So should I just wait for a proper release of 2018.3 or is there a solution to this?

9. Remy_Unity

Remy_Unity

Unity Technologies

10. kyleshepherd

kyleshepherd

Do you have an ETA for the next release? We're using 2018.2.8f1 at uni and need to be able to use version control and changes to the package via package manager doesn't seem to get versioned

11. optimise

optimise

Is that fix related to this issue 1087977 https://issuetracker.unity3d.com/is...-preserve-original-base-color-and-set-texture ? Currently I need to use non-hdrp project to import model to get the material then transfer the standard materials to hdrp which is greatly slow down the workflow. I really hope this issue can be fixed soon.

12. Remy_Unity

Remy_Unity

Unity Technologies

No ETA, sorry. Also, if you are sticking to Unity 2018.2.x, the latest version of HDRP will not be compatible. An option for you is to load HDRP as a local package, from this version : https://github.com/Unity-Technologies/ScriptableRenderPipeline/releases/tag/3.0.0-preview and add the fix needed yourself.

Not related. The issue was forwarded to the asset importer team, and I can't give you an ETA for it.

optimise likes this.
  13. optimise

optimise

Maybe I'm wrong but I seems like it will go through StandardsToHDLitMaterialUpgrader.

14. WayneAdams00

WayneAdams00

This seems to still be happening (at least to me) in 2019.2.17f1

CorrineNicole, iimlpii and Josh-0 like this.
  15. Josh-0

Josh-0

While I'm not certain this is the exact problem. I, too, am experiencing something similar. I upgraded to 2019.2.18 but that did not fix the problem.

All objects are white in linear, and if I disable "Visual Environment" it is very high contrast black and white.

If I change to RGB, it is high contrast, but I see more color.

EDIT: So, I think the problem occurred when I selected the "CenterEyeAnchor" in the Hierarchy. The Camera had Volume Layer Mask set to Default, I changed it to Post Processing, and I think it's back to normal.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2020
  16. CorrineNicole

CorrineNicole

I'm using 2019.4.1f1 with the same problem

17. talscartalcom

talscartalcom

Before HDRP, faking the light rays in sorta effective way but it's hard to tune, tweak and balance with the sun. upload_2020-7-10_1-18-1.png

After HDRP
    upload_2020-7-10_1-18-29.png

I can't build something with HDRP if even if I build it from the base up, it still loads materials and they look like this.

18. LadyDeathKZN

LadyDeathKZN

I am having the same issue. I converted my project to HDRP, if the Emission -> Intensity is low then the scene renders as the above image. If I remove the directional light the entire scene is grayed out. The material clearly has the color in the Material tab in the Inspector.

According to this post it is an ongoing issue:
    https://issuetracker.unity3d.com/is...come-grey-on-upgrading-to-hd-materials?page=2

Using Unity 2020.1.0f1 with HDRP 8.2.0

19. carllarc

carllarc

Unity 2020.1.0f1 HDRP 8.2.0. Same issue. @LadyDeathKZN thanks for the link, however:

I am still seeing an unexpected result when converting a project to HDRP, which requires the metallic value of materials to be set (I think) unreasonably high. Following scene has emissive lights and HDRI sky, plus direct light that seems to be behaving properly. There's exposure control and a number of post-effects, all of which seem to be doing what they should be doing. The HDRP/Lit material though only seems to light as expected with metallic values above 0.4 (approx)

For the below I've just grabbed all materials and dragged the metallic value to zero to illustrate. It's entirely possible I'm doing something wrong, but this seems different from HDRP intensity issues. I think what is confusing me is that this feels like it should be a pretty straightforward set-up, but it isn't behaving that way.

four.jpg zero.jpg

20. carllarc

carllarc

Just while I'm here asking stupid questions :)

I'm not clear why changing the resolution of a planar reflection probe should change what the probe reflects? So please excuse the ramped up metallic and smoothness, but in the first image you can see the floor is clearly reflecting the cabinets sitting on it, as it should. It's too dark (difficult to remedy this because of metallic problem mentioned above) but it's broadly correct. In the second image all I've done is increase the planar reflection resolution to 2048, but as you can see it's now reflecting the HDRI sky. I don't see why changing res should cause this? The cut-off seems to be between 1024 and 2048 - lower renders correctly, higher renders what I guess is the outer extremity of the scene (sky). I do however understand why even thinking about using 16k res causes Unity to disappear in a blink!

I'd be interested to know if this is an underlying issue or just user-error.

1024.jpg 2048.jpg

21. Hunanbean

Hunanbean

Can someone from Unity respond to @carllarc please? This makes no sense.

22. rz_0lento

rz_0lento

Most of the images seen on this thread with "black and white" materials are due to current HDRP using values setup for high light intensities.

If you want a quick fix do following:
    - Run HDRP wizard and fix all issues with it
    - Create a new scene from the main menu
    - Make a new gameobject and drag the volume and light GO's into it
    - Make a prefab out of this new GO that has sky and light presets
    - Open your real scene
    - Remove existing main direction light
    - Drag the prefab you just made to this scene

This will set the default exposure and lighting values to a range that does work. Of course you can do this manually too by tweaking the existing direction light intensity and then exposure values for both the exposure volume component and sky component's exposure from your volume settings.

23. Hunanbean

Hunanbean

@rz_Olento That is very good and useful information, thank you.
    My request for a respone to the previous question was specifically regarding the apparent failure in reflections caused by changing the resolution. Any insight there?