Search Unity

1. Are you interested in providing feedback directly to Unity teams? Sign up to become a member of Unity Pulse, our new product feedback and research community.
    Dismiss Notice

HDRP Unlit Shader "Distortion Only" does not work

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Nerochoosingname, Jul 31, 2021.

1. Nerochoosingname

Nerochoosingname

Would be cool if the buttons in Unity would actually do what they say.
    Distortion Only is checked, and not only is not showing any distortion, no matter what you put into the distortion value, it also shows the texture! That's the opposite of what "Distortion only" means! It's everything but Distortion!
    Can someone explain this to me? If the answer is( as it always is with this engine) "Oh yeah it's a bug that's been there since the beginning of time and everyone knows about it and Unity hasn't lifted a finger but made 30 new input systems, 24 new versions that change nothing and 200 new Render Pipelines in the meantime" I think I might just break my own ribs.
    upload_2021-7-31_15-58-20.png

Mark_01, april_4_short and firstuser like this.
  2. firstuser

firstuser

Life is pain

april_4_short likes this.
  3. april_4_short

april_4_short

I haven't used HDRP for a while, not since the last time I checked to see if it was worth using. Spoiler Alert: it still wasn't.

But, to my thinking, the problem might be in the Rendering Pass dropdown, that's currently set to "Default".

A distortion needs to be in a later pass (which usually won't be the default pass) so that it has something to distort.

You'd be 100% correct if you said that pressing a button labelled "Distortion Only" should automatically change the rendering pass to something later in the rendering process, ideally one pass later than it was before pressing the Distortion button, even if that meant a new pass needed to be created.

4. Nerochoosingname

Nerochoosingname

Interesting idea! So I changed the Default pass to "after post-processing" and nothing changed!
    I'm beginning to believe this is just an empty button in the shader graph that just does nothing, no matter what you do.

unityunity