Search Unity

HDRP Unlit Maximum Brightness Issue

Discussion in 'High Definition Render Pipeline' started by stakira, Jun 22, 2020.

1. stakira

stakira

Developing with HDRP and got a problem: A pure white Unlit material cannot even get as bright as a Lit material. See the attached image.

I understand that "after post-process" option can solve it, however it breaks either TAA or ZTest. I have tried to disable all volumes and even lights, yet the brightness doesn't improve.

What I hope to figure out is a way for Unlit being able to reach a good brightness level, so that I can use shader graph to create custom lighting (which I already did but looks very greyed out because of this issue). It's OK it is still altered by post processing and not pure white. Thanks!

Last edited: Jun 22, 2020
  2. stakira

stakira

Anyone please? Also tried out various gamma correction things. However, obviously pow(1, 2.2) or anything similar would still be 1, means when rendering white no gamma correction could help.

3. pierred_unity

pierred_unity

Unity Technologies

Hey, in case you use the "Default" rendering pass, you need to consider exposure, tonemapping, etc.

Did you try emission in your material to compensate for these?

The same material in both images, night and day setups. In both cases, the unlit material will look 100% white (RGB255).

upload_2020-6-27_0-12-29.png

upload_2020-6-27_0-13-25.png

I'm using Neutral tonemapping, so indeed other settings like ACES may prevent you from ever reaching pure white. You can use the custom tonemapping settings as well, your "shoulder" settings will impact the whiteness.

4. stakira

stakira

Thanks very much! I have tried emission but totally missed the exposure weight slider. And you are right. It appears no matter what ACES would not be able have a unlit white. I'll see what I can achieve with it.