Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice

HDRP + unity terrain = nothing?

Discussion in 'Graphics Experimental Previews' started by KarelA, May 6, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KarelA

KarelA

Hi.

Was unble to find any official infromation abou thtis in release notes. I am unable to get the terrain working on HDRP. A completely empty sample project. Creating new terrain does not display anything. I can see the transform and properties of the terrain in the inspector. Even the lightmap will start to regenerate everything. But the terrain itself remains "invsible".

Tried the same thing on Lightweight and had no issues there.

AntonioModer likes this.
  2. LennartJohansen

LennartJohansen

The HD render pipeline still does not have a terrain shader.

AntonioModer and KarelA like this.
  3. KarelA

KarelA

Thanks Lennart. This is what i suspected. Funny that i could not find any official info about this. I am probably just bad at searching :)

4. LennartJohansen

LennartJohansen

There is no info yet. The HD loop is experimental and things are missing and will change.

5. KarelA

KarelA

Understandable. Just wanted to make sure that i am not messing something up on my end.

I think what got me confused was the latest video from Quixel.
    At one point of the video he had a sample scene built on Unity terrain. Since it looked so pretty i automatically assumed that he was using HD pipeline.

Additionally there was this comment from Quixel. (attatchment on this post)
    Based on that information i thought that terrain was something i can experiment with.

Attached Files:

6. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Yeah but it's mostly assets. HD does not contain any terrain shaders. This is likely a job for the rest of Unity, such as the guys working on the terrain overhaul right now. Bear in mind HD isn't due for 2018.3 at minimum.

7. KarelA

KarelA

Hi @hippocoder and @LennartJohansen and UT

Quixel released a new video today showing live link between Unity and Megascans.

Could you take a quick look at the end of the video? He is painting on terrain and the unity version seems to be 2018.2.0b2
    He also mentioned that he is using hdrp.

This terrain situation still confuses me. On one hand i am unable to find any official information about the terrain + hdrp (i may be stupid and blind, so feel free to point me to right direction). No response from the devs but community informed me that it is not ready yet. But then on the other hand someone releases a video where i can see that terrain is being used and results look fantastic. And the Unity version seems to be the same that all of us have access to.

Will try to follow the exact steps on that video when i manage to find spare time and see where it gets me.

Mauri likes this.
  8. one_one

one_one

Looks like he's using a material with the layered lit shader and assigned it to the terrain?

9. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

HDRP currently doesn't have support for a terrain shader. Please contact Quixel for more information on their integrations. There is no shader available for HDRP and terrain yet.

Unity will update us all when the proper time comes. I've locked this thread because it's technically off topic - on topic is discussing the features Unity provide via package manager or builds in this part of the forum (see stickies). Don't worry, you won't miss it when it comes.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.