Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

HDRP typical LUX value for sunlight?

Discussion in 'Graphics Experimental Previews' started by hippocoder, Aug 28, 2018.

1. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Hi,

Wondered what the typical LUX value for sunlight would be with HDRP. I tried converting numbers at ground level but nothing seemed to match up, so we currently guess it.

Any suggestions for sunny day / noon?

2. Grimreaper358

Grimreaper358

Yea, we will have to wait for the physical camera (with f-stop and all) to input proper values for the sun and get it looking as it should. Although there was an answer to a similar question to this and SebLagarde did recommended a value a while back, I'll find it.

Original Post
    upload_2018-8-28_15-39-18.png

3. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Thanks - I had a feeling I was missing something.

4. Grimreaper358

Grimreaper358

I was looking at the GitHub branches to see what new and stumble across this so it's coming pretty soon hopefully
    upload_2018-8-30_18-31-17.png

hippocoder and Rowlan like this.
  5. IgnisIncendio

IgnisIncendio

Physical camera is out now. Doesn't seem to help, does it? Also, what does pre-exposure and EV16 mean?

6. Grimreaper358

Grimreaper358

The physical camera has been in since an early beta version on 2018.2 but it's only for LWRP and Default Renderers (but it's only using physical/real camera focal lengths or rather just different lens settings). Physical Camera for HDRP is more complex than that and will actually have camera properties other than focal length (F-stop/Aperture, Iso, shutter speed these would be camera/image settings) things you can find on any camera you pic up these days even on some newer phones now.

What this does for HDRP is allow us to match camera settings with lighting conditions in game as one would match camera settings with lighting conditions in the real world in order to get proper exposure for their images (EV16 /Sunny16) and in our case for our games. EV16 /Sunny16 is just a rule/guide of camera settings to getting proper exposure for time of day and weather condition.