Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice

HDRP translucent shadows

Discussion in 'Graphics Experimental Previews' started by YuriyPopov, Sep 20, 2018.

1. YuriyPopov

YuriyPopov

So using the build in Lit shared I was able to make a very realistic looking stained glass material. How ever the only thing missing is the shadow the plane cast. I would like it to sample the base color texture in order to produce a colored shadow just like a real stained windows glass would. Any ideas on how to do that?

2. SebLagarde

SebLagarde

Unity Technologies

Hi, this isn't supported at the moment. We are working on improvement on SRP to allow such a thing in the future, but currently you are limited to monochromatic shadow (and HDRP haven't implement faded shadow for translucent as you can have in builtin unity)

Olmi, Varesian, neoshaman and 2 others like this.
  3. YuriyPopov

YuriyPopov

Hi,
    Thanks for the response. I'm capable of writing my own shaders but i have no idea on where to start to extend the hdrp. All my attemps to write a custom shader have failed. Can you point me to some resources that will shed some light on this matter?

4. SebLagarde

SebLagarde

Unity Technologies

If your goal is just to have different input for the lit shader then there is no equivalent to surface shader for SRP, so we expect people to move to shader graph (that now have a better implementation for lit shader in next release) .

If your goal is to write your own lighting model then thing become very complex. Simpler start will be to copy the Fabric folder in Material and edit the various files for your need. The tech is in preview, so there only a draft of user documentation, but no documentation on programmer side. You will not find any resources about how to implement a lit shader for HDRP, but there is some people on this forum talking about unlit shader that is more simpler to do.
    https://github.com/Unity-Technologies/ScriptableRenderPipeline/wiki

5. DxMax

DxMax

This is not resolved yet? I wanted to make some particles cast shadows. but something much softer than what is currently happening

6. Cactus_on_Fire

Cactus_on_Fire

I'm also curious on how to implement soft/dithered shadows for the particles like smoke to use. By default all shadows look opaque with no fading edges.