Search Unity

HDRP terrain shadows problem

Discussion in 'High Definition Render Pipeline' started by AlexandreH5, Jun 22, 2020.

1. AlexandreH5

AlexandreH5

Hello there,

I have this render in my terrain probably due to the shadow (link below). The shadow is not smooth, it looks like squares.

When I desactivate the directionnal light everything seems to be ok, but when she is activated I have this problem.

Someone have an idea about this?

Thank you in advance.

Best regards,

Alexandre

Attached Files:

2. SebLagarde

SebLagarde

Unity Technologies

Hi, which HDRP version are you using? It is high likely undersampling so you can increase shadow resolution.
    Alos it can be related to contact shadow, you can try to disable them.

3. AlexandreH5

AlexandreH5

Thank you for your answer.

My HDRP version: 7.3.1

So I have taking 5 new screenshots, but I'm not sure it's a shadow problem because I have disable everything (Directional light too) and the problem is still there, less visible certainly.

Maybe my terrains config? They are very big...

Attached Files:

4. kite3h

kite3h

5. N1warhead

N1warhead

I'm getting that same issue in HDRP as well! Thank you for the video on the fix. However - I don't like this fix. @SebLagarde this is pretty bad bug in HDRP that really needs to be fixed. Check out the video from @kite3h right above.

Instanced Terrain breaks shadows on terrain.

6. einWikinger

einWikinger

I got this issue as well in 2020.1.14 with HDRP 8.2.0.

The transformation of the terrain patches seems to be all over the place (they're actually properly aligned in a grid pattern):
    upload_2020-11-24_10-52-38.png

7. einWikinger

einWikinger

I've reported this as case #1294915 with a repro.

8. einWikinger

einWikinger

9. einWikinger

einWikinger

Any ideas if this will be backported to 2019.4? 2019.4.18f1 suffers from the same issue.

10. kite3h

kite3h

Bug revived.

i2eilly likes this.
  11. i2eilly

i2eilly

12. HIBIKI_entertainment

HIBIKI_entertainment

As @i2eilly had stated the bug is still most certainly present.

from the their latest issue tracker,
    https://issuetracker.unity3d.com/is...4.1999000623.1615286345-1608849015.1613407328
    Dev team looks to be pushing this to a fix in RP 12.0.0 ( somewhere in the unity 2021 builds) with no backporting.

This is likely due to how shadows back end renders in 2021, and an extremely painful situation for everyone else.
    My advice to everyone now having the ffeling of being forced through 2019.4 LTS onto 2020 and most certainly beyond to 2021, is to dive into some possible solutions prior to moving forward and potentially crippling your dev schedual.

-proxy terrain shadows, this could be any number of things from faking it to iso side renders of your terrain peaks.
    -turning off shadows in the terrain material entierly ( will have its own problems of course
    -mesh/terrain mixes ( this is a very powerful and performant solution)
    -gauging performace A/B between intanced and non instanced terrains.

Regarding the latter, as much as instancing terrains gives ~50% boosts in performance and ability to have a normal map, this might be an overuse in project that may include dense renderings of details and rocks ( similar to Book of the Dead), this may be a viable solution for you if that is your target and you're not using terrain maps for a lot of "mesh" detailing, like a cliff face from a terrian height map
    This may also be the case for reducing height/splat map rending costs too.

in any case, i wish the best of luck to you all

13. reigota

reigota

@SebLagarde Is there anyone in unity thinking that is funny to keep a version called LTS and a so serious bug is not gonna be fixed on such LTS version??

jc2 and einWikinger like this.