Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

HDRP Terrain Painting more than 8 materials?

Discussion in 'World Building' started by Waterlane, Nov 21, 2020.

1. Waterlane

Waterlane

I know this has been asked before, but I'm wondering if/when terrain will be updated to allow more than 8 (HDRP) material layers to be painted onto a terrain?
    There were new terrain tools talked about - this to me would really be top of my 'feature request' list. I thought the new tools were to be released with Unity2020... (hopefully). Any updates Please.

2. Bordeaux_Fox

Bordeaux_Fox

I face the same issue. One thing is that the Terrain Tools package has nothing to do with the core features of Terrain like the eight layer limit. This is tied to HDRP and therefore a HDRP update is needed. Maybe even an Unity version update. I don't how the hardcoded stuff works. But it's really odd because the old build-in renderer had unlimited layers. So why Unity is going a big step backwards?

Waterlane likes this.
  3. wyattt_

wyattt_

Unity Technologies

Hey, are the two of you still having this issue? It should be possible to use 8 Terrain Layers in HDRP currently

4. Bordeaux_Fox

Bordeaux_Fox

Yes, that's the actual problem: Having just eight layers per terrain is not much for a photorealistic terrain.

wyattt_ and Waterlane like this.
  5. Waterlane

Waterlane

Hi wyatt - (warning - I'm going to ramble).
    Great to have a reply from Unity on this (it seems the one topic that keeps falling on deaf ears to me.)

To have MORE THAN 8 material layers with HDRP is by far MY NUMBER ONE REQUEST FOR UNITY..
    If I had to choose one Feature, then this would be it - period.
    With it I'd also ask for a range of other terrain updates I'd love, but rather than a new editing system (which sounds cool) I'd ask for improved terrain shader support (height blending onto prefabs/tessellation/parrallax mapping etc etc)
    [are we still seeing grass not being support by HDRP as well???]
    Terrain feels still a WIP on these points... something I was really hoping the 2020 release would address (i.e. fixing the exiting tools before adding new ones)

But MORE THAN 8 TERRAIN MATERIAL LAYERS IN HDRP PLEASE (ok I shouted - sorry).
    I did say please :)

e.g. - I've a terrain with 8 materials, I want to add a path, or different ground vegetation, or sand, or rock, or stones, or etc etc... 8 materials is a HUGE Limitation imo (and on my project) - and the shader feature set for hdrp terrain materials is limiting to (tessellation as mentioned/etc).
    HDRP is for HQ yes? Which implies a diverse range of material types - yet you can have more material layers with URP?!? My project is based upon HQ visuals and 8 materials simply are not enough...

ok ramble over - 'hoping for an update one day.
    Thanks again for asking - really good to have someone hear this topic
    (I've posted on this type of thing in the past and had replies saying these things are not needed/etc...)

wyattt_ and Bordeaux_Fox like this.
  6. wyattt_

wyattt_

Unity Technologies

Ah gotcha. I misread the question and I'm not sure how haha. Pretty obvious reading it again. I'll share this feedback with the team. Thanks

Waterlane likes this.
  7. cmdexecutor

cmdexecutor

Are there any updates? That is definitely needs to be addressed, especially for HDRP

t301 likes this.