Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice

HDRP, Terrain and Asset bundles in build not working properly

Discussion in 'Graphics Experimental Previews' started by MonsW, Jul 10, 2019.

1. MonsW

MonsW

Hello, I have a very specific setup that has a very eird behaviour that I cannot understand. I have 2 separate projects.
    One here I build a terrain and export it as assetbundle and a second one with the same parameters (Unity 2018.3.14f + HDRP 4.10) in which I load the assetbundle and instantiate the terrain.

In editor mode, after having played around the graphics settings in order to make sure that my terrain would not be pink and appear at all, everything looks fine.
    In build mode, the material of the terrain appears to be brocken. We still see the texture but it looks weirdly dark and shiny as if the normalscale was extremely high or somehow broken.

editor:

build:

graphics configuration (on both project)

Note: when making a build with a scene containing the terrain directly in the origin project (so, no asset bundle), the terrain appears properly without this issue. Only the terrain is touched by the problem.

Is it a configation error on my part or is it related to the asset bundles? hy would it work in editor and not build?
    Is it actually a bug and worth reporting?

Thanks in advance

DaveL99 likes this.
  2. DaveL99

DaveL99

I've had the same problems with both HDRP and the legacy built-in pipeline.

I've tried suggestions in this thread: https://forum.unity.com/threads/terrain-doesnt-appear-when-loading-from-asset-bundle.578254/

However, sadly none of those worked for me, and I still haven't found a truly acceptable solution. For now, I have made a dummy scene in the main build that references a single simple (no trees or decorations) terrain asset in my environment asset bundle. That seems to then make all the terrain objects (I have more than one - it's quite a large environment) render correctly when loaded from an asset bundle in a built app too. I currently only have one environment asset bundle though, this workaround isn't really scalable if I wanted to support many or release them as DLC type downloads etc..

MonsW likes this.
  3. RickardNeava

RickardNeava

Any news about this issue? I have exactly the same problem and can't figure out how to fix it. Including the terrain in the main build instead of the asset bundle is not a solution for me. I have to be able to get that working in the asset bundle somehow.

4. RickardNeava

RickardNeava

Tested this issue in Unity 2019.2.9 and it seems to be fixed!