Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice

HDRP template SCENE is amazing

Discussion in '2020.2 Beta' started by FernandoMK, Oct 12, 2020.

1. FernandoMK

FernandoMK

Yesterday I downloaded Unity 2020.2 Beta 6, and created a project in HDRP to test:rolleyes:

upload_2020-10-12_19-8-39.png

This demonstration scene is fantastic. :eek:

And seeing the scene, you can see that she uses almost everything from HDRP. This is excellent

HDRP 10 has taken several steps towards more realistic graphics. I hope this scene is our new model scene to show the potential that HDRP can provide.:D

2. TieSKey

TieSKey

It is! but I'd rather call this a "mini demo".
    A template is something you use to save time, having to delete all the imported assets defeats the purpose.....

phobos2077 and rz_0lento like this.
  3. rz_0lento

rz_0lento

I gotta agree with this comment. I feel like it should be in samples rather than be an actual template. I also felt the same way for the workbench scene so this comment isn't really only toward the new template.

This is also a reason why I don't really even start HDRP projects using the template as I just WASTE time having to clean up the extra stuff out. Instead I just start with 3D template which is a blank scene, install HDRP package and run HDRP wizard to set things up.

phobos2077 likes this.
  4. JRRReynolds

JRRReynolds

The scene looks amazing, but did you check your fps both in editor and build....big yikes! Considering it is such a small scene with that kind of performance, this is more for visualization than game ready.

phobos2077 likes this.
  5. koirat

koirat

If everything is not a real time lighting than I'm not impressed.

6. FernandoMK

FernandoMK

I particularly liked it a lot.:)
    knowing what we have available helps a lot, (especially for those who are studying) already gives a very cool path.:rolleyes:

But that’s why all these assets are in one folder, so you can remove them as soon as you enter the project, in addition, HDRP now has a new scene creation mode, so you can choose to create a scene as an HDRP model (ie with minimal objects in the scene + Camera and Global Volume) or even create a scene with no objects in the scene (Empty scene totally)

and you can do it in less than 1 minute ... so I don't know why you're complaining about it;)

upload_2020-10-18_18-45-25.png

It's actually quite heavy (it's lighter than SRP 8.2), but it's still a little bit heavy

(I tested it during rendering) I received 30 FPS in execution mode (it fluctuates a lot from 25 to 40 because of rendering, lol :p). But when I change to medium, it goes from 60 to 70. So there's still an exchange of quality for performance ... and it's not bad for the quality that remains.

Not to mention that we can modify HDRP in several ways to improve this performance. So let's see. I look forward to the next updates, and so far without bugs

I can't wait to buy the new GPUs with DXR support. I'm curious to start testing, and see how far we can go:D

7. rz_0lento

rz_0lento

The point was really about sharing frustration on having to clean up the whole folder structure out, slow launch time due to loading unneeded stuff, having settings files scattered in various folders... where just NOT using HDRP template gets you there way faster and with zero bloat. Of course I can do (and have done for years now) a manual HDRP setup because HDRP Template is pointless for me but if it actually just did bare minimum out of the box, I'd totally use it more.

It's also not just about 1 minute, when you do a ton of small prototypes and other testing, you'd waste a lot of time on monthly basis on just pointless busywork. Also this isn't really a complaint but rather observation/note on the "template". My workaround works for me so it's not a big deal.

Also don't get me wrong, I like that new sample as well but it is not really a template / starting point for your own projects, that's all we've been saying here.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2020
    phobos2077, NotaNaN, koirat and 2 others like this.
  8. laurentlavigne

laurentlavigne

That light falls so softly but isn't it the work of the light baker?

I've done NPR for too long, maybe someone knowledgeable in photoreal rendering on Unity can dissect this demo and show what builtin cannot do, that would be interesting for those getting it.

9. valarnur

valarnur

How to enable SSGI in HDRP 10? Is it possible to get playable game performance?
    It would be great to try it with that scene.

10. FernandoMK

FernandoMK

Yes, the whole scene is in baked mode. It would be interesting to see how it behaves in real time. (With RayTracing)
    We expect real-time lighting to arrive in 2021.X ... as an alternative to DXR

If I have time, then I can port this demo scene to the integrated Pipeline to see the difference ...

laurentlavigne likes this.
  11. Shizola

Shizola

Does anyone know the idea behind the shadow proxy mesh?

JayYayy likes this.
  12. koirat

koirat

You disable shadow on your main mesh and create simplified mesh for shadow casting.
    I hope this is what you have in mind.

13. Shizola

Shizola

I'm guessing this gives better results than just using the existing geometry?

I think the scene looks nice, the motion blur looks a bit strange though, especially on the plants.

14. TJHeuvel-net

TJHeuvel-net

Yeah it is, the first few times you see it. After that its just annoying you have to delete all this when making a new project. Thats my experience with URP at least.

Why arent these different templates? E.g. empty project vs templated?

phobos2077 and Peter77 like this.
  15. BobyUnity

BobyUnity

Does someone experience this overexposure problem in this scene too? Does someone have a solution? The GameView works just fine and I can run the demo scene without issues. The SceneView on the other Hand is highly overexposed. I can add the checkbox "Override Exposure"
    in the menu of the sceneview but that only helps for one exposure brightness and not for all possible lightings.

upload_2020-12-16_19-11-39.png

16. Baobabus

Baobabus

I have seen this sample template previously, but currently I cannot find it anymore among available templates.
    Am I missing something?

17. cirocontinisio

cirocontinisio

Make sure you're starting a project in 2020.2, and not a previous version.