Search Unity

HDRP support for Oculus Quest(Vulkan)

Discussion in 'High Definition Render Pipeline' started by torano, Aug 30, 2019.

1. torano

torano

I read an article about UE4 adding support for Vulkan on Oculus Quest, and it also states Unity will add support for that later this year. Does this mean we will be able to develop Oculus Quest app with HDRP? If so, it would be awesome!, and I would like to try it out.

newguy123 likes this.
  2. alexandre-fiset

alexandre-fiset

Probably not.

HDRP is not made for mobile.

3. elbows

elbows

High-end mobile is a future target for HDRP. iOS Metal, Android, and likely a bit of devil in the future detail.

Its too early to judge where the lower limit will end up (apart fromt he obvious compute shader requirement for HDRP), and much will come down to project-specific features, HDRP might make sense in certain mobile scenarios, especially as the years go by.

But yeah, Quest is not the sort of target device I think of when I think about HDRP so far, and I dont really expect that to change, although I keep a slightly open mind I suppose. Universal (LWRP) seems like a more appropriate fit.

4. torano

torano

I agree that. It will be harder to keep good performance of a mobile VR game in HDRP, but the reason why I want it is that I want to make a nice graphics VR game with HDRP targeting PC VR platform(Oculus Rift S), but at the same time, I want to add Quest support. It would be crazy if I have to make both HDRP and LWRP projects for a game.

colinleet, tspk91, ROBYER1 and 2 others like this.
  5. colinleet

colinleet

In this exact situation now. Facebook's choice to end Rift development has me really worried that my choice for render pipeline will need to change to LWRP mid production -- or risk losing all of the future Oculus market.

6. SebLagarde

SebLagarde

Unity Technologies

Don't know if it can help you to make a decision. But support of HDRP mobile is still not available and we have no ETA. So I will suggest to make plan on what is currently delivered and not what could be delivered in the future as it is always highly risky.

colinleet likes this.