Search Unity

HDRP Subsurface Scatter black on Mac

Discussion in 'High Definition Render Pipeline' started by AquaGhost, Jul 13, 2019.

1. AquaGhost

AquaGhost

We have a project with a lot of SSS. It shows up fine everywhere, but on my Mac with a Radeon 560, everything looks fine except SSS objects are black. Tried to reimport it a few times. The HDRP demo proj seems to be ok. Is there anything Im missing to debug this?

2. SebLagarde

SebLagarde

Unity Technologies

Hi, can you provide your Unity binary version and HDRP version? thanks

3. AquaGhost

AquaGhost

2019.1.5f1. And HDRP 5.16.1

4. SebLagarde

SebLagarde

Unity Technologies

Hi. Our QA get the same version and do the test and the SSS objects works.

I do'nt have other suggestion than trying to delete your library folder to force a reimport of the project.

5. Ehredt

Ehredt

Hello! I've got the exact same issue in a project using Unity 2019.2.13f, HDRP version 6.9.2, and a Mac with a Radeon R9 M295X (it's a few years old but it's the only Mac we've got). Every material works so far except those with subsurface scattering, which show up as though their base color is black; smoothness and alpha clip work normally. Deleting the library folder and reimporting does not fix the issue. Has anyone found a fix?

6. Recky256

Recky256

I have same issue. If I create SSS & material, always black.
    But this project migration to mac from windows (mean switch build target)
    Any suggestions?

-Unity-
    2019.3.0f1
    HDRP&ShaderGraph 7.1.6

-PC-
    Mac Book Pro(15 inch 2019)
    Intel Core i9
    RAM 16GB
    Radeon Pro 560X 4 GB

7. domdev

domdev

any solution for this? happens here too material turns black

upload_2020-2-10_15-37-32.png

8. SebLagarde

SebLagarde

Unity Technologies

Hi, what is the Mac OS version you are using? thanks

9. domdev

domdev

Sierra 12.3 the latest version, and for HDRP 7.1.8
    unity version 2019.0.6f1 building in unity cloud

10. SebLagarde

SebLagarde

Unity Technologies

Hi, our QA have checked with Catalina and HDRP 7.1.8 / 2019.0.6f1 and we have no issue.
    Have you try to delete your library folder, do you have any packages remaining in your cache? (local cache) that could make that you don't use the correct package or something else?
    Or maybe can you share your project? thanks.

11. glenneasley

glenneasley

I'm struggling with the same issue. Macbook Pro - Catalina 10.15.3 - radeon pro 560 - Unity 2019.3.8 - HDRP 7.3.1 - fresh HDRP project. Subsurface scattering turns the material black. I've tweaked every setting I can find and nothing changes the black output.

12. glenneasley

glenneasley

Did you ever find a solution to this problem? I'm experiencing the same issue.

13. Ehredt

Ehredt

The only way I could ever get it to work consistently was to move my entire project into a new HDRP Sample Project and then, by some trick of extensive trial and error that I haven't been able to pin down since, it started working. It's therefore possible, but difficult. I have also run into the black-materials-on-subsurface-scattering on a Windows machine, and in that case it had something to do with the diffusion profiles not working correctly -- they weren't findable in Assets when setting them in a material via the Inspector (i.e. using the little bullseye icon) until I clicked and dragged them manually from the Project folder to the Inspector. If I try troubleshooting more on the Mac, I'll probably start with the diffusion profiles.

14. glenneasley

glenneasley

Thank you - I haven't able to get it working in the sample project either . . .

15. SebLagarde

SebLagarde

Unity Technologies

Hi, our platform engineer have been able to reproduce the issue and fix it. It is related to some kind of weird synchronization issue in low level Mac code. A fix is coming and will be backport to 2019.3, it should fix SSS but other issue that appear on Mac as well with HDRP. should be available in less than a month.

Ehredt and glenneasley like this.
  16. glenneasley

glenneasley

This is great news - thank you!

17. Ehredt

Ehredt

Wonderful, thank you so much!

18. david21

david21

Any update on this issue? It's been a month since @SebLagarde said the fix was coming. I had this issue today after moving a project from Windows to MacOS, using Unity2020.1.0b8. SSS shaders are very dark and unusable.

thank you!

_slash_ and sarahlasley like this.
  19. _slash_

_slash_

Disabling High Quality under HDRP settings fixed it for me... I'd like a better fix thought.

upload_2020-9-19_0-20-59.png

20. SebLagarde

SebLagarde

Unity Technologies

Latest available 2020.1 and 2020.2 have the fix now