Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

HDRP Spotlight Soft Shadows not working

Discussion in 'Graphics Experimental Previews' started by bonickhausen, Jan 20, 2019.

1. bonickhausen

bonickhausen

Hi!

It seems to me that HDRP's soft shadows are not working.

How can I fix that?

2. TchPowDog85

TchPowDog85

I think you may need to provide a lot more info than this... Screenshots? Settings? Description of your setup?

3. bonickhausen

bonickhausen

HDRP shadow settings:

upload_2019-1-20_17-2-21.png

My light's shadow settings:

upload_2019-1-20_17-4-19.png

Shadow:

upload_2019-1-20_17-4-32.png

Latest HDRP version.
    Nvidia 1050.
    Unity 2018.3
    No matter what I do, I can't get soft shadows.

4. Grimreaper358

Grimreaper358

Soft shadows currently only work in Forward Rendering mode. Plus you have to configure it per light (light Settings)

5. TchPowDog85

TchPowDog85

Can you post your scene settings profile?

6. TchPowDog85

TchPowDog85

There are shadow settings all over the place in Unity (I hope the new UI this year consolidates these settings so you don't have to go all over the place). Grimreaper is correct though, change to Forward rendering in your HDRenderPipelineAsset, there are other shadow settings in there as well. You can also find shadow settings in:
    Project Settings > Quality
    Scene Settings gameobject > HD Shadow Settings
    Your light game object

7. Grimreaper358

Grimreaper358

Once you really understand it you can see why the settings are separated as well as where to go for what.

- Quality - Shadow settings don't do anything for HDRP. Thats for The Built In Render pipeline. Guess they could hide it if HDRP or LWRP is active as they did with some settings in the lighting window.
    - Scene Settings shadow control is for the current scene's shadow cascades and overall shadow distance.
    - HD RenderPipeline Asset is for the overall Quality. (This is the max it can be from what you set) - This replaces the Quality Shadow settings

- So the HDRenderPipeline Asset sets the maximum settings for the shadows
    - Scene Settings set how far they can render and how many cascades there are
    - Lights set how high quality the shadows can be relative to the settings you have in HDRender Pipeline assets. Basically, the HD Render Pipeline can and should be used as the Quality Settings.