Search Unity

HDRP single digit fps on 8K resolution (

Discussion in 'High Definition Render Pipeline' started by nycucumber, Oct 23, 2020.

1. nycucumber

nycucumber

We are making something for a large-scale physical installation and we need to output 9000 x 2000 image. But it seems like whenever I switch the resolution to above 5000x2500 the fps drops to single digits from 50+. The drop is not liner but sharp, almost feel like something just hit a bottleneck.

in the profiler, it seems Gfx.WaitForPresentOnGfxThread is taking up a long time to execute.

How to reproduce:

1. create a new HDRP project
    2. throw something random into the scene ( a cube, a particle system)
    3. go-to game view, change the resolution to fixed 8000x3000

spec:
    CPU i9 8950hk @ 2.9ghz
    GPU NVIDIA RTX 2080
    memory 32GB
    Unity version:

graphics API: dx12

I just did some testing.
    the fps drop only exists on DX12.
    the project runs very smoothly on dx11.
    btw
    the fpx drop is present on the latest 2020 version with dx12.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2020
  2. Lars-Steenhoff

Lars-Steenhoff

Your video card is saturated, try using a faster video card or reduce gpu load

3. jjejj87

jjejj87

I highly doubt its about video card...OP has been getting those results with a cube in the scene.

As for the DX12, don't change to DX12 expecting it to just work. It has many performance issues at the moment and some basic features just not working. It is basically inferior to DX11 at the moment.

4. Lars-Steenhoff

Lars-Steenhoff

If you change the resolution to 1080p and see the frame rate increase, then its defenitly the video card and not the cpu.

5. Lars-Steenhoff

Lars-Steenhoff

And the fact that dx12 is less optimised at the moment

6. rz_0lento

rz_0lento

DX12 is also still in preview / experimental for HDRP.

7. Soner-Sen

Soner-Sen

Unity Technologies

thanks for getting this to our attention. We are currently working on some optimizations in our DX12 implementation, and I will make note that high resolution output projects are not working well with the current state of DX12. however if you dont mind filing a bug about this it would be a great way for you to follow the state of the work on it.

as others pointed out currently our DX12 is still under preview/experimental tag, and we are working on it.

optimise and MartinTilo like this.
  8. nycucumber

nycucumber

thank you all for the info. I have switched back to dx11 for now and I will file this as a bug.