Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity 6 Preview is now available. To find out what's new, have a look at our Unity 6 Preview blog post.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Unity is excited to announce that we will be collaborating with TheXPlace for a summer game jam from June 13 - June 19. Learn more.
    Dismiss Notice

Discussion HDRP several Directional Lights

Discussion in 'Graphics Experimental Previews' started by imaewyn, Nov 2, 2023.

1. imaewyn

imaewyn

Hello. I want to know why HDRP hasn't yet included some way to use multiple light sources with the ability to have shadows. I don’t know how difficult this is to technically implement, but in my opinion this is a very common case for developers - to have a main game scene and an additional one, for example with a character preview or a dialog box. But due to the fact that for an additional scene it is impossible to set directional light with shadow cascades, you have to use Spot Light, which does not give the same beauty with shadows, different glows, and so on. Although, logically, 2 sources should not conflict with each other, because they have lighting and shadow layers configured so that they do not affect objects in another scene. But they are in conflict. As a result, we have a very powerful HDRP tool that can only be used halfway. Although, the same HDRP Volume can be turned on for a certain area and it would be logical to give directional light sources at least some opportunity to participate in different scenes or areas of the same scene, or upgrade spot light up to directional light functionaluty.