Search Unity

HDRP rendering glitches in build, but not in editor

Discussion in 'High Definition Render Pipeline' started by Nubaa, Jun 1, 2020.

1. Nubaa

Nubaa

As of a couple of days ago, I started getting this horrific rendering issue in all the game builds I made:

glitch1.jpg glitch2.jpg

The issue happens depending on which way your camera is pointed - looking in one direction the game will look completely normal, then rotating your view the screen goes crazy with all those glitches and only rendering pieces of the view as you can see in the second picture.

I'm using 2019.1.7.f1 and HDRP 5.16.1. This has been really stressing me out for the past two days, any help will be immensely appreciated.

2. Roggi_

Roggi_

Not sure if it's the same issue but I am experiencing something similiar. I see white noisy dots in shadowed regions.
    Unity 2019.3.10f and hdrp 7.3.1.

It's only present in the editor and it doesn't show in builds.

3. Nubaa

Nubaa

I just tested this after upgrading my project to 2019.3.15f1, and it's still happening. Could this be related to my resources folder/file being too big? My RESS file is over 4gb, could that be related to the problem?

4. Nubaa

Nubaa

Alright, I think I fixed the problem. What tipped me off was this thread:

https://forum.unity.com/threads/bug-4gb-limit-to-textures-in-standalone-build.441116/

I had no idea that Unity was limited to 4gb filesizes, absolutely no idea. Since most of my game exists in only one scene, the RESS file for that scene was 4gb in the final build. I checked back to previous builds I had made, and I noticed that RESS file slowly climbing towards 4gb in each build, and when it hit 4gb, that's the build that had this issue.

What I did was select a group of ~25 textures that weren't terribly important, but they totaled around 100mb. I set their quality to low and checked 'crunch compression'. After building, the RESS file was only 3.93gb, and this graphical problem was gone. Crunching some textures to fix this problem is probably just a bandaid solution, but apparently 2020.1 removes this 4gb limitation so that's good to know.

twobob and radiantboy like this.