Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice

HDRP Particles

Discussion in 'Graphics Experimental Previews' started by Korindian, Oct 18, 2018.

1. Korindian

Korindian

I understand that the VFX Editor will be coming out soon, but can we get some shaders to work properly with Shuriken, even for Unlit?

Problems I'm seeing:

- Included HDRP Unlit shader does not respond to changes in Shuriken color properties.
    - Unlit Shader Graph shaders do not respond to changes in Shuriken color properties.
    - Both HDRP Unlit and Shader Graph Unlit shaders do not have soft particles.

The only shaders working now are legacy particle shaders, and soft particles aren't working on those shaders either.

2. eizenhorn

eizenhorn

In Shuriken for color, shader must use vertex color.

3. Korindian

Korindian

I can get Shuriken color properties working in the Shader Graph Unlit shaders using the Vertex Color node, thanks, but not for the included HDRP Unlit shader.

How do we get Soft Particles with Shuriken in HDRP? There is a setting for Soft Particles in the LWRP asset but not for the HDRP asset.

4. Flow-Fire-Games

Flow-Fire-Games

We'd also like to know about Soft Particles in HDRP

5. richardkettlewell

richardkettlewell

Unity Technologies

Korindian likes this.
  6. tspk91

tspk91

What are the use cases of shuriken particles in HDRP given VFXGraph are much more performant?

7. kilik128

kilik128

Velo222 likes this.
  8. dgoyette

dgoyette

Just curious, has the soft-particles issue been resolved yet? Or is that still under development?

9. Velo222

Velo222

I am really waiting and hoping for some particle shaders that work well in HDRP. 2018.3 or 2019.1 specifically, but any versions really.

I really want a cloud shader that works. I've been waiting for a month and a half now (since end of May) and I havn't heard anything about particle shaders that work. Is this being worked on? Is there any advancement in this area?

As I said, all I'm really waiting for is a cloud particle shader that looks pretty real. The HDRP Lit and Lit tessellation shaders work with particles.....but they have a lot of glaring flaws at distance and at certain angles.

The shadergraph ones provided by Unity (richardkettlewell) recently don't work at all for some reason. I'm not blaming richard, I know he's probably working hard on them, but I just can't seem to get them to work. Do I need to use VFX or something?

10. richardkettlewell

richardkettlewell

Unity Technologies

I believe the Shadergraph bug has been fixed but it missed making it into a couple of package versions so I’ve been stuck waiting for quite some time, for it to appear in a package I can use to add the soft particle support. I’ll take another look tomorrow and see if it’s fixed in whatever the newest package for 19.2 is. Sorry it’s taking so long :(

dgoyette likes this.
  11. richardkettlewell

richardkettlewell

Unity Technologies

What’s going wrong, do you know?

There are a couple of downloads on the particle forum, for various versions. I think as long as the particle version is less than or equal to the HDRP package version, it should work. If you let me know your HDRP version I can try it out here and see if I can recreate whatever is blocking you.

12. Velo222

Velo222

Your instructions say to use HDRP 5.3 in Unity 2019.1, but there is no 5.3 option to install when using Unity 2019.1 for me. I am using Unity version 2019.1.3f1. The lowest HDRP version I see is HDRP 5.7.2.

When I download and unzip the 2019.1 shaders (and place them in my Project->Assets folder) and click the dropdown button on a material to select the shader, it crashes Unity.

In versions of the Editor where I can get the HDRP particle shaders to actually work (for example in Unity 2018.3 with the correct HDRP package version), they just don't do anything. They just show white or grey squares for the particles, and nothing else. That's why I'm wondering if I'm doing something wrong somehow?

I have included some pictures to try to help.

UnityHDRP_ShaderIssue2.png UnityHDRP_ShaderIssue1.png

Last edited: Jul 25, 2019
  13. richardkettlewell

richardkettlewell

Unity Technologies

Ah ok. I don't know why it's not there as it must have been when I made the shaders, but I suppose for some reason it got removed since then. I've uplaoded a new pack made with 5.7.2, here: https://forum.unity.com/threads/hdrp-particle-system-shaders.643840 Hopefully it works for you! Let me know if you still have any problems.

Velo222 likes this.
  14. richardkettlewell

richardkettlewell

Unity Technologies

As promised, I've had another look at this today and the ShaderGraph bugs are fixed in HDRP 6.8.1. (hurray!) So I have made a new particle shader pack with that version, which includes an example for Soft Particles and Distortion. You can grab it from here: https://forum.unity.com/threads/hdrp-particle-system-shaders.643840

Korindian and dgoyette like this.
  15. Velo222

Velo222

Wow, thanks richard :)

I got them kind of working now. I actually got them working in Unity 2018.3 (which is excellent). But in my Unity 2019.1 version, they still crash Unity when I try to select the shader dropdown on a material. I have no idea why, but I'm assuming it's a problem unique to my project. I narrowed it down to the "ParticleLit" shader in particular (I deleted all the others and it still crashed with just the ParticleLit shader in the project).

So I'm going to try another version of Unity sometime to test if it might be version related, but probably not today. If I do, I'll let you know if I have any more problems. But thankfully, I have a version that works now!

Thank you very much for the updates.

richardkettlewell likes this.
  16. sebastianzander

sebastianzander

So does this mean that soft particles are now (in HDRP 6.8.1) working with VFX graph and HDRP shaders? If I understand your previous posts correctly then the mentioned Shader Graph bug also prevented soft particles with VFX graph and not just with the dated particle system?! It's my assumption since in HDRP and VFX graph 5.16 I don't get soft particles although enabled in the VFX output node.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2019
  17. richardkettlewell

richardkettlewell

Unity Technologies

This stuff has nothing to do with the VFX Graph - it is only relevant for using the "dated" Particle System with HDRP.
    The Shader Graph bug had nothing to do with Soft Particle support in the VFX Graph.

You are welcome to report a bug if Soft Particles are not working in the VFX Graph.

18. richardkettlewell

richardkettlewell

Unity Technologies

If using the built-in renderer, yes.
    If using HDRP, no. (i don't think HDRP even existed in 2017.4?)

19. FiveFingerStudios

FiveFingerStudios

Thanks...I found it and it fixed the issue.

20. elbows

elbows

HDRP existed in publicly available form for more than half of 2017, but it was in a rather immature state back then.

21. sebastianzander

sebastianzander

Thank you but I just found out that it's not a bug, just me being dumb :rolleyes:
    From my other thread regarding my particular problem:

22. dgoyette

dgoyette

I was just trying out the soft particle shader in 2019.2, with HDRP 6.9.1, and I'm not getting the results I was expecting / hoping for. My expectation was that the "softness" we're referring to with respect to particles would apply to the hard edges they create when particles pass through other geometry. That's what happened under the built-in renderer with soft particles. But that doesn't seem to be behaving in this way using the shaders provided. Here's a gif of what I'm currently seeing:

SoftParticles.gif

This is using the "ParticleUnlitSoft" shader from the download link:

upload_2019-10-11_11-24-48.png

Note how there are hard edged along the floor here where the particles pass through it. My hope was that "soft" particles, in this context, meant that those hard lines would be softened, as in the built-in renderer.

Am I just doing something wrong, or am I misunderstanding what "soft particles" mean in the context of HDRP? I've attached a package containing the sample scene I was working with.

Attached Files:

23. richardkettlewell

richardkettlewell

Unity Technologies

Yeah they should fade against opaque geometry that is writing to the depth buffer, as long as the soft particle range is valid. I’m not sure about 2,2,2,0. From memory, doesn’t the graph only use the first 2 values, which are the start and end of the fade? If so, they should be set to 1,2 or 0,2 or some other valid range.

dgoyette likes this.
  24. dgoyette

dgoyette

Very nice. I guess I didn't understand how it worked. Changing it from 2,2 to 0,2 or 1,2 produces the expected result. Thanks for the quick reply, and the work getting these shader out.

SoftParticlesWorking.gif

25. dgoyette

dgoyette

Oh yeah, one last thing: Are these shaders going to be incorporated into HDRP (or some other package) in the near future? This thread isn't all that easy to find. :)

26. richardkettlewell

richardkettlewell

Unity Technologies

Yeah they are in HDRP version 7.something as a sample package, listed on the info for HDRP in the Package Manager (sorry I don’t recall the exact version it landed in)

dgoyette likes this.