Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice

Feedback HDRP Particle System Shaders

Discussion in 'Particle System Previews' started by richardkettlewell, Mar 13, 2019.

1. kilik128

kilik128

we can resume how got hdrp particle at this time ? please

2. sebastianzander

sebastianzander

Hi, I am using Unity 2019.1.10f1 with HDRP 5.16.1. An hour ago I downloaded the Unity Particle Pack assets and tried to create a simple dust storm. I then downloaded ParticlesShaders-HDRP5.7.2-2019.zip and switched the particle material shaders to ParticleLit. For the "biggest" part of the particle textures this works, however I get unpleasant looking specular spots as a reflection from the sky light:

hdrp_particle_shader_artifacts_1.jpg

These spots are only visible when looking into the same direction as the directional sky light is radiating. Its a rather tight viewing angle/cone - outside of it they are not visible.
    Also there is this vertex stream/shader input mismatch for the TANGENT and TEXCOORD streams. I could find and add the TANGENT stream to the particle system, but there is no TEXCOORD stream to be found. I don't even know if this is connected to the specular spot artifacts since the UV mapping of the dust texture seems to be correct. Any idea?

Last edited: Jul 26, 2019
  3. richardkettlewell

richardkettlewell

Unity Technologies

This part is going to be a bit tricky. The old Standard Particle Shaders has a custom GUI and a button to automate setting the correct streams, but right now there is nothing for the Shader Graph shaders - instead it is down to you to know what you are using, and use the error messages to guide you.

In general:
    * If the shader graph is using normal mapping, it will need the Tangent stream
    * If using the blended flipbooks, you'll need UV, UV2 and AnimBlend. Otherwise you'll only need UV.

I haven't done any detailed testing of this so there may be cases that this doesn't cover.

Sorry I've no idea about the bright spots, but the mis-matched streams may indeed be causing problems.

4. sebastianzander

sebastianzander

Thank you so far. Can you give me a clue where to start? I haven't yet worked with Shader Graph but I programmed (extended and edited) two or three shaders so far. Is it possible to update the shaders that you provided and match the streams in Shader Graph or do I have to manually code this?

As for the TANGENT stream: I do not require any normal mapping in my particles - what exactly do you mean "if the shader graph is using normal mapping?" - I don't know if it uses normal mapping. Do you even talk about the shader graph shaders that you provide?

As for the TEXCOORD/UV stream: I assume flipbooks are this kind of sprite maps/texture atlas with multiple versions of the same particle texture. If so then I have to say yes, the dust storm examples from the Unity Particle Pack use such particle textures. I use the ParticleLitFlipbook shader now but the result is still the same - and like before the UV mapping is correct.

5. djkebab

djkebab

Erh, the "Color over Lifetime" doesnt work with HDRP yet?

I am running Unity 2019.1.11f1
    And i run HDRP 5.16.1

And i am using HDRP/unlit material.

But i lose control over fading via color over lifetime. Can i fade in and out another way until it's fixed?

6. konsic

konsic

You need particle shader which has vertex color node.

richardkettlewell likes this.
  7. Velo222

Velo222

I noticed in HDRP the particles will be very bright at certain camera angles and camera pitches, but then can also go completely "black" at other camera angles. What causes this? And is there a way to tell the particles or the camera not to do that?

The particles look good at a few specific camera angles, then when I "look down" with my camera the particles go completely black and it is really unrealistic.

I tried adding in another directional light into my scene to try to keep the particles from "going black", which helped a little bit, but still doesn't fix the problem. I know it's probably a realistic camera feature with light or something, but I want my particles to stop doing that.

8. richardkettlewell

richardkettlewell

Unity Technologies

Maybe setting the Normal Direction property in the renderer module will help, as it makes the lighting behave as though the billboards are spherical (approximately)

Velo222 likes this.
  9. Korindian

Korindian

Is there support for fog for the HDRP particle shaders? I read in the docs that the fog node only works with LWRP/URP.

10. richardkettlewell

richardkettlewell

Unity Technologies

I don't know - the particle shaders are simply shader graph shaders, so it's more a question of whether it's possible to have fog via shader graph in HDRP. If the answer is yes, then fog could definitely be added to the particle shaders too. (maybe there is a checkbox in the master node settings or something - I'm admittedly not super familiar with HDRP)

11. Korindian

Korindian

So there is a checkbox for "Receive Fog" in the HDRP master nodes. However, it doesn't work in all cases.

All the included HDRP ParticleUnlit* shaders have the box checked. Receiving fog works for all of them except the "ParticleUnlit" shader. That one only receives fog if you connect a Scene Depth node or a Position node set to View, which the other shaders have.

Not sure why receiving fog doesn't get activated for that one. Perhaps some code is not included?

I created a bug report for it: 1192876

Hopefully someone can take a look at it.

12. marck_ozz

marck_ozz

I was using the Unity Partcle Pack in my project and then update it to HDRP and all this particles FXs started to work wird with pink looking veheivior or stoped to work at all. This new Shader Graph don't seems to fix the problem and I have tried with all of the new shadders. Any recomendation? Please Help!

Attached Files:

13. richardkettlewell

richardkettlewell

Unity Technologies

Are you able to submit a bug report?

14. marck_ozz

marck_ozz

Aparently I don't. But if you tell me how, I can do it. Thank you!

15. marck_ozz

marck_ozz

Sorry I already see the "Report a Bug" documentation. I'm working on that

16. filod

filod

it would be nice to have one official Material Upgrader script of this, tons of Unity Assets Store FX are build in legacy shader. I tried to write my own upgrader, but there is no docs, i'm quite blind scripting though.

17. Ogham5tone

Ogham5tone

@richardkettlewell (or anybody who might be able to help?) - have you any advice on how to get transparent particles to sort with one another as well as the world correctly? I'm attempting to fix an FX pack that we got on the store, the shaders of which appear to work, but throw up all kinds of red errors, so I'm recreating the materials using Hdr shaders.

The main problem I have right now appears to come from the Depth Test settings - the only one that appears to sort the particles correctly is 'NotEqual' - all others give really bad results (due to the many overlapping particles in place, they pop in and out jarringly over the lifetime).

'NotEqual ' displays them all reasonably well, but sorts them on top of the world - see attached image where the source shader clips off at the ground, whereas the Hdr shader shows the effect beneath the ground rendered on top. Accurate sorting of the particles is not essential as they combine together, but I do need to be able to sort with the surrounding objects.

Any advice or insights in how to approach or solve this would be greatly appreciated! -Thx!
    particlesorting.jpg

Using Unity 2019.2.12f1

Last edited: Jan 22, 2020
  18. Necka_

Necka_

I'm in the same situation, I would like an upgrade for legacy particles.
    Lots of asset store packs are using the original Particles/Unlit shader

My test on a store pack:
    Select an effect and check its material settings in Built-in project:
    upload_2020-4-8_16-31-43.png
    Note the Albedo map set with a texture

upload_2020-4-8_16-26-15.png

In HDRP project change the shader type to ShaderGraph Unlit (I picked soft by mistake but that doesn't matter for the example)
    upload_2020-4-8_16-32-12.png
    The main first issue here is that it loses the Albedo map. That can be a big pain for large packs to set that manually.
    Other thing as a non expert (at all) is that the setttings are very different from just:
    Rendering Mode [Opaque/Cutout/Fade/Transparent/Additive....]
    Color Mode [Multiply/Additive/Substractive...]

to the new settings.

The effect at least is not pink anymore, it kind of work (project lighting is totally not the same obviously)
    Main issue so far are the shadows that are completely off:
    upload_2020-4-8_16-32-1.png *

So, long story short is: A tutorial and most of all, a converter script (even in beta with manual selection of the materials etc) would be really great..

@richardkettlewell if by any chance you read this I'm eager to know what the team stands for regarding this topic :)

19. Reanimate_L

Reanimate_L

It's been a while since i'm messing with shuriken in HDRP but try to enable Alpha Clipping for the shadow issue

20. xVergilx

xVergilx

@richardkettlewell
    Hi, I've tested HDRP shaders from the Sample package that comes with HDRP render pipeline.

It seems like they no longer use black color from the texture as transparency. (Lit / SoftLit)
    Is that intentional, or will be changed in the future?

Swapping black to transparent isn't a big deal for me, if its a standard now.

Thanks.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2020
  21. richardkettlewell

richardkettlewell

Unity Technologies

Hi, what are you comparing the behaviour against?
    An older version of HDRP, or the built-in particle shaders?

22. xVergilx

xVergilx

Built-in.

I was using legacy shaders (Legacy Shaders/Particles/~Additive-Multiply and Mobile/Particles/Additive) prior to the HDRP port.

So this might've changed a while back.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2020
  23. xVergilx

xVergilx

Also, I've noticed that rotation is respected differently when using these shaders.
    Had to rotate the actual object to fix it.

24. richardkettlewell

richardkettlewell

Unity Technologies

Ah ok - yeah things have changed a lot since then. I would expect, as long as it is consistent with how normal HDRP stuff works, then it's correct. Because the lighting setup and authoring process should be the same for particles and non-particles stuff within HDRP.

I don't understand how rotation can be affected by how the particle surfaces are shaded. The shaders should only affect how they look, not how they are positioned/rotated.

25. xVergilx

xVergilx

Me neither. However, I had to turn some of them to the 270, because they were not emitting to the up direction, but rather to one of the sides after switching a shader on the material.

26. valarnur

valarnur

How do I copy particle system shader and material form HDRP 7.31 preview asset?
    When I press CTRL +C and CTRL+P in my own folder nothing happens.

27. sapphire790

sapphire790

Hi, I was wondering, I am possible to convert Legacy Shaders/Particles/Additive to HDRP? It is last material i cannot get to work for the WormHole tunnel. Thx

28. Ultroman

Ultroman

1. Is it possible to make a particle shader that receives light? HDRP here.

2. It's really frustrating in general not to have light info for shaders. What are we supposed to do without light nodes in Shader Graph or light info available in our custom shaders, when we're using HDRP? I still haven't found a good answer to that question, despite doing several searches in the past year. I might be using the wrong search terms, though.

29. richardkettlewell

richardkettlewell

Unity Technologies

i think you have to use the lit master nodes in ShaderGraph for all lighting. For any feature requests relating to shader graph, if you post it in the shader graph forum you’ll get the right people looking at it :)

Ultroman likes this.
  30. Ultroman

Ultroman

Thanks for answering :D

Well, I'm actually using Amplify, so that's another story, but this "no light info available in custom, written shaders" is what is nearly forcing me to leave HDRP for SRP or whatever renderer that has light info available. I understand that HDRP is fundamentally different and thus doesn't have the same structure allowing for the same light info being available, but there must have been some thoughts as to what your users were supposed to do instead, right? Light info has always been there, and now it suddenly isn't. How do we gain the same control in our custom shaders?

Last edited: Dec 20, 2020
  31. richardkettlewell

richardkettlewell

Unity Technologies

Ultroman likes this.
  32. radiantboy

radiantboy

Im using HDRP 11.0.0 where can I get the relevant particle shaders to make all my old particle systems work? are the ones in this thread still relevant?

33. richardkettlewell

richardkettlewell

Unity Technologies

Go to Window / Package Manager and select the HDRP package. From there, you should see a link, or list, for some Additional Packages, or Additional Samples, or something like that. (Sorry for my vagueness... they keep messing with that UI, I haven't looked at it for a while myself) Anyway, the particle shaders should be in there.

As a last resort, I think the latest ones here ought to still work too: https://forum.unity.com/threads/hdrp-particle-system-shaders.643840/ (I'd try the proper way through the Package Manager UI first though)

radiantboy likes this.
  34. nevaran

nevaran

Why are lit versions of the shaders so extremely expensive? Especially when getting close to them they drop the framerate tenfold.
    And should the Distortion variants of the shaders be casting a supernova emission without an ability to control the strength?

Using Unity 2021.1.12f1 (64-bit)

35. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Because lit shaders are physically based with lighting, and the overdraw from particles means that it's done multiple times per pixel.

To solve this, most games use cheaper shaders for lit particles that usually aren't PBR and also use opaque rendering, not transparent, but with screen door effect.

Because it's pretty expensive doing full PBR with just one pass so imagine with particles not being able to prevent overdraw? With opaque rendering, there is no overdraw for depth failed pixels (stuff behind other stuff is discarded).

I'd recommend sourcing or making a non physically based lit shader for particles. Failing that you can make it render a bit faster using the Low Resolution option under Rendering Pass, which exists because lit transparency is so slow.

In short it's expected and you should design around it.

36. nevaran

nevaran

So basically use it for particle systems that just need a few particles active at one time and are far from the camera?

37. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

I didn't say that as a basically. I said as a basically, write or find another shader that isn't PBR, like most AAA games do.

Then you can have quite a lot more particles and it should look identical. But if you don't want to, then use the low res option under transparency to claw back some more speed.

Particles will always be slower close up which is why both VFX and regular Particle Systems have a feature to cap how big they can get, regardless if it's an expensive shader or not, since overdraw is the big problem with transparent rendering.

38. nevaran

nevaran

Why doesnt the examples come with the non-PBR variants? Also they are using the new visual graph thing, so im guessing it should be relatively easy to convert it to a non-PBR lit shader?

39. richardkettlewell

richardkettlewell

Unity Technologies

can you report a bug for this please?

40. nevaran

nevaran

I think the problem came from my used textures, though im not sure how that affects it in HDRP

41. User340

User340

Is it possible to have volumetric smoke in HDRP that responds to nearby lights?

42. Wolfos

Wolfos

This pack sorely needs some work. These shaders are incredibly limited compared to what's available in the built-in pipeline.

43. projectorgames_unity

projectorgames_unity

I'm a bit confused why you think the shipped ones would work. Distortion isn't tagged, and the Combine node isn't connected up. This is the shipped shader in the 11.0.0 sample package.

upload_2022-2-23_0-53-58.png

44. richardkettlewell

richardkettlewell

Unity Technologies

I never said/thought that..

If we could get a bug report, we'd be able to look at this.

45. projectorgames_unity

projectorgames_unity

Submitted as Case 1405493.

Honestly tho, all of the HDRP particle shaders (for 11.0.0) seem broken. The soft Unlit just doesn't work. Looking into the shader shows that you're multiplying the far plane of the camera by zero. That can't be right?

upload_2022-2-23_16-44-17.png

46. rimgro_

rimgro_

hello, are these shaders still relevant? if so, can you help me understand how to add soft particles subshader to unlit shader?

TankThunderbird likes this.
  47. TankThunderbird

TankThunderbird

Is there an updated package for HDRP 12.1.6 or will the package for v.6 work?