Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Feedback HDRP Particle System Shaders

Discussion in 'Particle System Previews' started by richardkettlewell, Mar 13, 2019.

1. richardkettlewell

richardkettlewell

Unity Technologies

Please use this thread to provide feedback on our HDRP Particle System shaders!
    This is not for use with the Visual Effect Graph.

You may submit your own combinations for any feature we've missed, and we will attempt to incorporate them into the master version available for download.

Grab the shaders from https://forum.unity.com/threads/hdrp-particle-system-shaders.643840

Last edited: Jun 24, 2019
  2. konsic

konsic

I set up particle system and use new shader with material. If I click in hiearchy, console keeps stacking warning every frame.
    2019.1b6 / 5.7.2

c2.JPG
    c3.JPG

3. richardkettlewell

richardkettlewell

Unity Technologies

4. Reanimate_L

Reanimate_L

and which HDRP version that the particle shader supported?
    Edit :
    Alright it worked for me, just FYI i use 2019.2 alpha and HDRP 6.5.2. Which mean scene depth and scene color node are worked just fine.
    One question, in soft particle subgraph. What is the purpose of remap node? i just can't make it work. I have to swap the remap with multiply and it works just fine.
    Also i love how transparent shaders are receiving shadow in HDRP :D
    upload_2019-3-14_3-48-16.png

Edit2: Alright nvm now i see what is that remap node do :D

Last edited: Mar 13, 2019
  5. richardkettlewell

richardkettlewell

Unity Technologies

Oh wow the soft particles works?? (almost!) i couldn't test it because it didn't seem to work for me at all in a sub-graph. I was using HDRP 5.3.1 and Unity 2019.2. I guess they fixed whatever bug i was hitting. I'll upgrade and take a look, although I wanted these shaders to all work in 2018.3 :(

6. Reanimate_L

Reanimate_L

oh the subgraph bug, yeah that's still happened i think. Which is kinda weird, not sure why scene depth and color nodes are broken if you put them in subgraph

7. richardkettlewell

richardkettlewell

Unity Technologies

I've spoken to the ShaderGraph team and reported the bug. They think it's related to an issue that they are already in the process of fixing. Fingers crossed :)

8. CameronOtten

CameronOtten

I was having trouble with getting this working, seems as though all the sub graph references got broken as well as having no output node, any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Using 2018.3.8 with shader graph 4.10
    Thanks

9. richardkettlewell

richardkettlewell

Unity Technologies

It’s possible I’ve made these shaders with a version of Shadergraph / HDRP that is “too new” and doesn’t work as far back as 4.1. I made it in 5.3.1. I’ll check tomorrow and let you know if my guess is correct. I should be able to redo it for 4.1 assuming there are no missing features I need. Or horrible bugs :)

TerraUnity and CameronOtten like this.
  10. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

To be fair there is really no point in supporting anything less than 5.x since HDRP is riddled with bugs that far back, and if people aren't upgrading from 4.1, well they chose to work against something unfinished.

The reason I made a distinction (specifically pre 5.3.1 is because from 5.3.x you have to redo all the lighting as a major portion of HDRP was fixed/added), and this is mandatory really - everyone will have to do it.

(just my 2p)

richardkettlewell and TerraUnity like this.
  11. richardkettlewell

richardkettlewell

Unity Technologies

Thanks for the info! I wasn't 100% up to speed with the HDRP versions and what the minimum reasonable-to-support version was, so that is super helpful.

@CameronOtten can you upgrade to 5.3.1 or newer and try again?

12. CameronOtten

CameronOtten

Well i'm trying to keep my project in 2018 for the LTS version so 5.3.1 is not supported for the lastest 2018 it seems, no big deal though, it was just something I found that I could use for particles, really the problem I need to solve is to get all the aspects of the shuriken system to work, like fading, color change, etc. Also the soft particles would be nice

13. richardkettlewell

richardkettlewell

Unity Technologies

Can you fix these graphs in your version? if it's just a case of re-adding the lit master nodes and re-connecting the sub-graphs?

For soft particles, there is a bug preventing it from working in a sub-graph, but you could pull the nodes out of the sub-graph into the main shader graph and it should work.

Or I will find time to look into this from our end, but that will be slower for you :)

14. CameronOtten

CameronOtten

Yes I believe I can remap them, would you be able to post some screenshots of the graphs? Its difficult to see where they all would connect, it would help a ton. Maybe just the lit/unlit versions of the most complex ones and I can work backward from there. I can also post or send you the package of the graphs/subgraphs that will be compatible with 2018.3

Thank you

richardkettlewell likes this.
  15. richardkettlewell

richardkettlewell

Unity Technologies

I've attached a few screenshots here: https://forum.unity.com/threads/hdrp-particle-system-shaders.643840

16. OfficialHermie

OfficialHermie

Could anybody share how to get the Unity Particle Pack working with HDRP?
    I've imported the effects into a HDRP template project, and I get purple materials, and I was wondering what the preferred way would currently be to have these effects work with HDRP.
    Thank you!

17. CameronOtten

CameronOtten

Attached Files:

18. CameronOtten

CameronOtten

If its cuz youre using 2018.3 these are built using 2019 so the shader graph's references are broken, i uploaded a package for ones that are fixed for 2018.3 (see above)

19. richardkettlewell

richardkettlewell

Unity Technologies

Great! I've added your package to our release thread :)

20. OfficialHermie

OfficialHermie

@CameronOtten Thank you. Is there anything else I have to do besides importing your unitpackage file into my HDRP test project? I still see purple material. I'm using Unity 2018.3.3f1.

21. OfficialHermie

OfficialHermie

For example, when I select the Prefab "EffectExamples"->"Misc Effects"->"Prefabs"->"Sparks", then "Open Prefab", I see that "Standard (Specular)" is selected.
    What should I select instead?
    Edit: I have updated to 2018.3.9f1 now, and I have imported the Particle Shaders.
    Here is a screenshot of an arbitrary particle effect.
    Does anybody spot anything wrong here?
    Thank you.

Edit2: The shader "Shader Graphs/Particle Unlit" and all others in the same section appear purple for me as well.

Edit3: Nothing happens for me when I click "Apply to Systems" as shown in the screenshot "click1.png".

Any Sherlock Holmes here who can figure out what goes wrong for me?

Attached Files:

• 1.png
      1.png
      File size:
      277.4 KB
      Views:
    • 2.png
      2.png
      File size:
      25.2 KB
      Views:
    • click1.png
      click1.png
      File size:
      136.2 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2019
  22. konsic

konsic

Code (CSharp):
    1. Error in Shader Graph at Assets/ParticlesShaders/ParticleUnlitFlipbookCameraFading.shadergraph in node ParticleVertexColor: Could not load Sub Graph asset at "Assets/ParticlesShaders/Subgraphs/ParticleVertexColor.shadersubgraph" with GUID 949fc2a212e73804aa80ab6100b7d360.
    2. UnityEditor.Experimental.AssetImporters.ScriptedImporter:GenerateAssetData(AssetImportContext)

Please create UI to add Particles Shaders in Unity.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2019
  23. OfficialHermie

OfficialHermie

@konsic Is that a reply to my post?

24. konsic

konsic

No.When I updated to HDRP 5.10 every shader broke down so I have to redone it.

I looked your shaders and I thnk you have to redone it too. I don't know any other option.

25. OfficialHermie

OfficialHermie

@konsic How do I "redo" the shaders?

26. richardkettlewell

richardkettlewell

Unity Technologies

If you’re seeing a shader with the Apply to Systems Button then you are using the wrong shader. That means you’re using the Standard/Particle XXX shaders, which are for the legacy/built in renderer. Sorry this is not obvious, hopefully it will be in the future.

Using the Shader Graphs/Particle XXX shaders is correct. If they are purple maybe there is an error in the console giving more details about the problem?

27. OfficialHermie

OfficialHermie

@richardkettlewell No errors during "gameplay" or so, but when I build my project, the following comes up:
    error1.jpg

Attached Files:

28. richardkettlewell

richardkettlewell

Unity Technologies

There are too many textures being used in that shader.

29. OfficialHermie

OfficialHermie

@richardkettlewell I have no idea what you mean. I didn't do anything. I have recorded a video here that shows how I proceed. Do you spot any obvious error?

30. richardkettlewell

richardkettlewell

Unity Technologies

Sorry I don’t know how to help you, I don’t know much about HDRP. I googled your error though and found this: https://docs.unity3d.com/Packages/c....high-definition@5.3/changelog/CHANGELOG.html

So it is maybe some unity bug that got fixed in 5.3.

But probably this is nothing to do with why your particle shaders are purple. I watched your video.. at the end where you swap the shader on the material for the HDRP one.. that looks good to me. They should stop being purple after you swap all the shaders used by those effects.

31. OfficialHermie

OfficialHermie

What do you mean by "5.3"? HDRP? If yes, how could I "update" my version to 5.3?

32. richardkettlewell

richardkettlewell

Unity Technologies

It’s the package version. Take a look in the package manager window.

OfficialHermie likes this.
  33. CameronOtten

CameronOtten

If you open the shader graphs and nothing is linked together then you'll have to manually put them together referencing the photos on the original post, shader graphs dont seem to get packaged well

34. konsic

konsic

Which particle system shaders should I use for hdrp 5.13?

35. richardkettlewell

richardkettlewell

Unity Technologies

There are shaders made with 2 versions on https://forum.unity.com/threads/hdrp-particle-system-shaders.643840/ (5.3.1 and 4.10) Hopefully one of those works for you, but if not, I won't be authoring the shaders in every single version of the package, it would probably take me all year :)

You ought to be able to use the 4.10 version and Unity should upgrade it when imported? Although for an experimental package i guess that isn't guaranteed.

36. konsic

konsic

Could you implement in SRP Unity UI when creating new materials to pop up new SRP particle shaders ?

37. richardkettlewell

richardkettlewell

Unity Technologies

When these shaders are completed, we could look at better integration with the package, yes. That can potentially happen when the blocking shader graph bug is fixed with sub-graphs, preventing soft particle and distortion from working in a modular way.

38. Korindian

Korindian

Hi, just curious if these particle shaders will become a part of the HDRP package in the future, if they will be in their own package, or if they will remain as a download in the forums. Thanks.

39. richardkettlewell

richardkettlewell

Unity Technologies

Hopefully they will be in the package once they are finished and the community seems to be happy with them (the shader graph bug preventing soft particles from working is apparently fixed, and I will be testing it soon)

40. Flurgle

Flurgle

Curious if there's an updated HDRP particle shader for HDRP 6.5+?

41. richardkettlewell

richardkettlewell

Unity Technologies

Nope, the bugfixes have not landed yet. The ShaderGraph team assures me they will be coming in 6.8, and we are just preparing 6.7 internally, so, hopefully, not too much longer to wait...

Flurgle likes this.
  42. Velo222

Velo222

Hmm, I think I'm doing something very wrong. This is what my "particles" look like using the Shadergraph 4.10 shaders. I have the Shadergraph 4.10 package installed, and I'm currently using the High Definition RP 4.8.0 package version. Using Unity 2018.3.12f1.

UnityHDRP_ShaderIssue1.png

It has no options except for Albedo, is this how it's supposed to look?

43. keromonkey

keromonkey

Hello, I'm using a particle effect made in an earlier version of Unity. I've managed to update and transfer over the effects, and they work well, except for a touch of green when the particles are fading in.

I've tried switching to using the HDRP lit/unlit shaders and though it removes the green problem, the particles no longer seem to respect the color-over-lifetime/alpha values because they are then controlled fully by the hdrp shaders and not the particle system.

Possible solutions: Get Rid of green, or get hdrp shaders to respect particle system color over lifetime.

44. Velo222

Velo222

Are the package version numbers on the particle shader download links the HD package version numbers or the ShaderGraph package numbers?

For example, the download link for the 4.10 version -- is it 4.10 HD package or 4.10 ShaderGraph package?

45. keromonkey

keromonkey

I don't see any particle packages in the package manager

46. richardkettlewell

richardkettlewell

Unity Technologies

HDRP, although I think the teams keep them in sync.. I.e you should aim to use the same version of each package.

47. richardkettlewell

richardkettlewell

Unity Technologies

48. Velo222

Velo222

@richardkettlewell I'm using Unity 2019.1.3f1 and in the package manager window I don't see a version 5.3.1 for the High Definition RP? Is there another Unity version that would contain HDRP 5.3.1?

In Unity 2019.1.3f1 the options I'm given for installing the High Definition RP package are as follow: 5.16.1, 5.13.0, 5.10.0, 5.9.0, 5.8.2 and 5.7.2. There is no 5.3.1 available to me. Do I need to use a lower version of Unity itself?

The package manager just installs different versions of the actual packages you need. For the shaders themselves, you have to download them and put them in your project either manually (i.e. in your Project/Assets folder) or importing the unity package if there is one.

So far I can't get either version to work properly. The 2019 version of the shaders actually crashes my project when I try to switch shader types via the dropdown menu on the material.

The 2018 version of the shaders just doesn't do anything so far. I'm still trying to test different HD and Shadergraph package version variations to see if I'm not using the correct package versions.....but so far no luck.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2019
  49. keromonkey

keromonkey

Are these shaders used for the original particle system, the visual effect graph, or for other features? (I bounce between 2018.3 and 2019.2)

50. richardkettlewell

richardkettlewell

Unity Technologies

Today I learned that the green tint happens when there is no diffusion profile set, in the HDRP project settings.