Search Unity

HDRP out of preview with package 7.2.0

Discussion in 'High Definition Render Pipeline' started by SebLagarde, Jan 29, 2020.

1. SebLagarde

SebLagarde

Unity Technologies

Hi,
    This message to inform you that the official out of preview version of HDRP is the package 7.2.0 that is scheduled to be released next week.

The package is a bit delayed compare to the official release of 2019.3f6 which have shipped with 7.1.8.

Stay tuned.

A blog post will be publish regarding the release of HDRP 7.2.0

Last edited: Jan 30, 2020
  2. Bordeaux_Fox

Bordeaux_Fox

Which date next week?

3. ModelWorksLondon

ModelWorksLondon

Any update on release date?

4. SebLagarde

SebLagarde

Unity Technologies

Either this Friday 7 or Monday 10 February. right now we are on track for Friday 7, but we never know:)

5. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Awesome, lovely work thank you :)

6. Bordeaux_Fox

Bordeaux_Fox

Friday is over, so I guess you will releasing it on Monday.

7. SebLagarde

SebLagarde

Unity Technologies

Exactly. We have found an issue with XR and universal that need to be fix before we release the packages, so should be Monday :)

Bordeaux_Fox likes this.
  8. Aurecon_Unity

Aurecon_Unity

Tuesday release?

bradscott likes this.
  9. pbritton

pbritton

Or Wednesday Or Thursday Or Friday Or Back to Monday. :cool:

10. ModelWorksLondon

ModelWorksLondon

Not sure if its the same but this was posted in the URP section - Hey! 7.2.0 is in promotion process and it's going to be available very soon.

11. Bordeaux_Fox

Bordeaux_Fox

Ok, HDRP 7.2.0 is now in the package manager!

Last edited: Feb 11, 2020
  12. Alaiing

Alaiing

Indeed! And it solved my decal issues. Awesome! :D

13. Bordeaux_Fox

Bordeaux_Fox

Yes, the decal fix is in that version, but the upgrading procress crashes for my projects. Why Unity. Why. :(:(:(

14. iSpiegelball

iSpiegelball

In my package manager it's not available yet. Am I in the wrong timezone? :D

15. Bordeaux_Fox

Bordeaux_Fox

I think you need Unity 2019.3.0f6.

16. iSpiegelball

iSpiegelball

Hmm, that's the very version I am using. Still not there...

17. Bordeaux_Fox

Bordeaux_Fox

The package manager takes some seconds to refresh the list of updates. And sometimes it display the "tick" icon despite there is a new version ready to be downloaded. Just expand "All versions" underneath a package and you will see it.

18. iSpiegelball

iSpiegelball

It works! Thanks alot :)

19. ModelWorksLondon

ModelWorksLondon

Finally updated to help with performance and can now no longer open the project. Instant crash when i try to load my scene.. Nice. Good thing i made a backup

20. FGallorini

FGallorini

Crash after load any scene

21. Dark-Muppeteer

Dark-Muppeteer

Any reason why all lights (such as point lights) other than the Directional are turned off in play mode when using XR in both HDRP 7.1.8 and 7.2.0? I thought it was supposed to be XR ready now?

22. rz_0lento

rz_0lento

23. pbritton

pbritton

Almost a total fail but I ensure I was using DX11 and Edit>Render Pipeline >Upgrade all materials to newer version and it finally worked.
    DX12 just doesn't work for. I will probably try it again another time.

24. SebLagarde

SebLagarde

Unity Technologies

Hi,
    HDRP 7.2.0 is available. We have large number of fixes there. Sill there is remaining issue: This version is compatible with 2019.3.0f6 but there is know crashes for Mac and Vulkan fixed in 2019.3.1f1 and for DX12 fixed in 1f2.
    So all non windows DX11 users, we thanks you for your patience, and sorry for the inconvenience

25. SebLagarde

SebLagarde

Unity Technologies

Haven't you get a popup saying that it will upgrade the material automatically when opening your project?

26. SebLagarde

SebLagarde

Unity Technologies

Do you have more details about this? We haven't noticed this issue on all VR project and test we have checked.

27. iamarugin

iamarugin

HDRP 7.2.0 with 2019.3.1 feels solid so far. I waited 2 years for this. Thanks to you and your team for hard work.

keeponshading and hippocoder like this.
  28. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

I'm just surprised the HDRP team took on this task AND added raytracing. It's so much work to get right so soon, these things require constant ground truth testing, hardware testing, performance etc, I would simply give up :p

+1 Good job you guys

iamarugin likes this.
  29. Bordeaux_Fox

Bordeaux_Fox

If DirectX12 and Raytracing would work in a build. But the time is no there, yet. :(:(:(

30. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

31. DeathRace26

DeathRace26

Also my case. Why can't i get a new update?? I need to get these procedural sky mem leaks fixed, otherwise i wont be able to work on my game

32. rz_0lento

rz_0lento

Package Manager doesn't show the update icon if there is verified package installed but newer version isn't verified for that Unity version. You should still see the update button on the bottom right and also if you click on the arrow next to the package name, it should give you list which also has 7.2.0.

33. SebLazyWizard

SebLazyWizard

Using the PBS and Ambient Mode set to Dynamic still seems to be broken, atleast in play-mode (light from the sky is way too dark, so shadowed areas are almost black, it works fine in static mode though).
    Any info on that?
    I really need that to accomplish dynamic day/night cycles.

Edit:
    Ok with 7.2.1 it seems to work, but only if I change some settings once I'm in play mode that effect the PBS (light direction etc. which is done by the day/night system). Without changing those settings, all shadowed areas stay pitch black in play mode, whether the ambient mode is dynamic or static.

Edit2:
    There seems to be some randomness if it works or not, sometimes the skylight works as expected, sometimes it's too dark and sometimes it's pitch-black. No Idea whats going on here, and it's been a problem for ages.

Edit3:
    Just to demonstrate the behavior, the first image displays the expected sky light in edit mode, the second one is after entering play mode with way too dark or no sky light.
    shadow_edit.jpg shadow_play.jpg

Last edited: Feb 13, 2020
  34. Richard_Drake

Richard_Drake

I am having an issue using HDRP 7.2.0 in a built player during startup when there are more than 1 display. Single display works fine and 7.2.0 fixed my problems with the render probes (Which is very important) but I cannot use as we need this to run over two screens.

In the player Log it says this for some reason...

WARNING: Shader Unsupported: 'HDRP/Lit' - All passes removed
    WARNING: Shader Did you use #pragma only_renderers and omit this platform?

In the error Log it says...

UnityPlayer.dll caused an Access Violation (0xc0000005)
    in module UnityPlayer.dll at 0033:f0eccd35.

I attached it to visual studio and it crashed here...

protected override renderpipeline createpipeline() => new hdrenderpipeline(this, hdrenderpipeline.defaultasset);

Is this a known issue or have I done something wrong/missed a step in upgrading from 7.1.8?

Thanks

35. pbritton

pbritton

I did but, it didn't work as expected. Shaders were broken and errors of the shader not support on this GPU was being thrown. So, I purge the library (which didn't work), switch to DX 11 and re-initiate the upgrading of materials to newer version.

36. SebLagarde

SebLagarde

Unity Technologies

Have this worked? It is the upgrade of material from DX12 that have fail for you? We will investigate on this one. Thanks

hippocoder likes this.
  37. id0

id0

Upgrade from HDRP 7.1..etc to 7.2 (7.21 too) cause tons of errors and just unusable. I had to create new clean project with HDRP and copy all my files there, it's the the only way to make it work.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2020
  38. runner78

runner78

Have you tried delete the Library folder?

39. id0

id0

Of course, but all I have it's error like dx11 render not support and no render at all in the windows.

40. jbooth

jbooth

What does out of preview even mean?

When LWRP went out of preview, we were told this meant the shaders wouldn't change much and we could reliably write shaders for the system, and the project was immediately abandoned and renamed URP and started changing again breaking custom shaders on every change. So can I assume that HDRP being out of preview means it will continue to break custom shaders every patch and its basically no different than being in beta?

Still no real documentation on the internals of your shaders, and how you expect this to be manageable for custom shaders.

41. JohnKP-Mindshow

JohnKP-Mindshow

Everyone in this thread is making me wary of trying out the new package.... :eek:

Finally feeling like things are approaching stability with my current setup but want some of the newer features

42. jbooth

jbooth

Wise. Unity seems to be moving away from the idea of making things "just work" or easy in their engine, instead focusing on requiring a team of developers to upgrade their code every time they make a change. Combine that with things being in rapid development and it just feels like someone dumping a bucket of sludge on you every day.

dfish123 likes this.
  43. pbritton

pbritton

I can try moving to DX12 again and see if I run into problems again.

44. Bordeaux_Fox

Bordeaux_Fox

The upgrade on DirectX12 is broken. They said you will need a new Unity version, which will be released this week at a date we don't know yet. So stay tuned for this.

45. pbritton

pbritton

Thanks for the heads up. I was literally now about to try.

46. Bordeaux_Fox

Bordeaux_Fox

Don't try. It is a waste of time.

47. jjejj87

jjejj87

I did write a post about this, but I am going to add it in here again.

I am on 19.3.f1 7.2.1

When I make changes to my code via VS and switch back to editor, it often crashes the Editor and all the changes made (regardless of saving) get lost. I've had this since upgrading to 7.2.0 (I think)

Can someone confirm if they are also experiencing frequent editor crashes?

48. Bordeaux_Fox

Bordeaux_Fox

I did not have any crash with Unity 2019.3.1f1 and HDRP 7.2.1 on DirectX11.
    And I used it since release.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2020
  49. jbooth

jbooth

I have frequent crashes working in URP and HDRP, as well as issues with editor syncing. It seems to be more than one issue though - for instance, sometimes when I double click on a file the editor won't open and Unity will hang waiting for it. Sometimes it opens, but doesn't open the project. Sometimes it opens the project but doesn't open the file. Sometimes when recompiling code, the editor just crashes. I'm not sure if it's an SRP thing or newer Unity versions though, and the other issue for isolating it is I'm often working between 4-5 unity versions because I have to upgrade things differently for LWRP in 2018.3, 2019.1, 2019.2, and URP in 2019.3 and HDRP 2019.3 - so I'm working in all those versions in a day and each seem to have their own special flavors of these kind of issues.

olli_vrcoaster and hippocoder like this.
  50. snacktime

snacktime

Sucks as an asset author on this count. URP has so many fixes hitting constantly, plus some are tied to newer releases, that for a game to be using URP and not be on the latest release, and in some cases even the beta, really doesn't make sense. Stability here is sort of upside down from the normal.

MP-ul likes this.