Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Resolved [HDRP] One particle system is always rendering on top of another

Discussion in 'Visual Effect Graph' started by ZeHgS, May 31, 2022.

1. ZeHgS

ZeHgS

Hello!

SITUATION

This is my first time using the VFX Graph. I am making a tornado effect. I just started the process of adding dust particles around the tornado but I already hit an obstacle right off the bat.

PROBLEM

For some reason the dust particles keep rendering on top of the tornado.

DESCRIPTION

In the "Initialize" context I have a "Set position (Shape: Arc circle)" so they spawn around my tornado. No matter how big I make its radius, they always appear in front of the tornado itself.

FRONT VIEW

TOP VIEW

I tried fiddling with all of the settings that seemed like they could affect this but nothing helped. I have both graphs within the same VFX file:

TORNADO GRAPH

DUST PARTICLES GRAPH

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks a lot!

2. Qriva

Qriva

Nothing, this is how it works. I belive they added some new option in 2022.1 to control it better, but in general whole output is rendered at once, like single mesh and you can only change their order in vfx graph assets. Transparent particles do not write to depth by default, so there is no super easy way to sort them out of the box.

3. ZeHgS

ZeHgS

Thanks a lot for replying!

Really? That sucks.

EDIT: This is the way to sort them. Way more complex that I was hoping for but it seems to work for everything except the texture https://forum.unity.com/threads/vfx-graph-sorting-order.707834/#post-7087204

Last edited: Jun 1, 2022