Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice

HDRP not working MBP 2018 (Iris 655)

Discussion in 'Graphics Experimental Previews' started by ulyssesp, Feb 1, 2019.

1. ulyssesp

ulyssesp

Creating a new HDRP project on my Macbook Pro 2018 13" i7 with Intel Iris Graphics 655 results in all materials not being rendered or rendered as grey in game window and editor window. There are also artifacts in the editor window. The same project works when running off of an eGPU with AMD Radeon RX 590.

Should this work on the intel graphics driver? If not, is there a page for minimum system requirements for HDRP? The same Metal featureset is supported on both GPUs.

Tested on 2018.3.0f2, 2019.1.0b1 with HDRP 4.9.0 and 4.1.0

andywatts likes this.
  2. andywatts

andywatts

Bump. Is HDRP supposed to work with Intel Iris GPUs?
    Running Mojave so think its Metal.
    Unity standard sharders work fine.

3. manutoo

manutoo

I confirm that the HDRP 5.16.1 (with Unity 2019.1.14f1) doesn't seem to work with MacOS + Intel Iris Plus Graphics, and thus with several models (eg: 655, 6000).

It happened to at least 3 or 4 of my customers. All have Metal support in their MacOS.

However, it's working fine on my MacOS + Intel HD 3000.

Anyone from Unity could tell us something about that ?

Last edited: Aug 23, 2019
  4. manutoo

manutoo

5. andywatts

andywatts

Thanks Manutoo.
    Any idea what the driver issue might be?

I imagine many people use MacBook Pros with Iris and will hit this wall when trying HDRP.
    Standard shaders are working fine.

6. manutoo

manutoo

@andywatts ,
    my guess is that Intel didn't respect some stuff in the Compute Shaders support for their Iris drivers, and thus as HDRP makes intense use of them, it fails on Iris.

But your guess may be as good as mine... :)

At this point, if your goal is to sell your game within 6 months (or even 1 year), I'd recommend you to stick to the built-in pipeline if you don't rely on some HDRP exclusive features that can't be handcrafted with the legacy standard shader.

It's very likely what I'm going to do, especially as in my test scene, the build-in pipeline is almost twice faster than the HDRP. :eek:

Last edited: Aug 30, 2019
  7. ayruos

ayruos

Bump, does anyone know if this issue still exists with Unity 2019.1.14f1 on the 2019 13" MacBook Pro (Iris 655)? I'm about to upgrade my machine to that and it would be a major dealbreaker if this issue persists.

Funnily enough, HDRP works fine on my current 2014 13" MBP (Intel Iris 1536 MB), albeit with terrible frame rates.

Even if it works over Bootcamp I'm fine though so if anyone knows it would be highly appreciated.