Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice

Bug HDRP no longer compiles game and Scene views are gray and black

Discussion in '2019.3 Beta' started by casey_unity415, Dec 15, 2019.

1. casey_unity415

casey_unity415

I'm experiencing this issue and it's only associated with HDRP this happens in any project, any scene, any drive, even tried redownloading a fresh reinstall of Unity and still happens creating a new scene yields the same exact issue any other pipeline works with no problems but as soon as you upgrade to HDRP and put in the asset bam screens go gray and black until you switch the pipeline back to URP.

This issue happened after closing the project, deleting the library, and clearing the shader cache folder. Once opening the project back up the scene and game views are gray and black.
    as well as the following error

Could not create asset from Packages/com.unity.render-pipelines.high-definition/Runtime/Render/RenderPiplineResources/Texture/CoherentNoise/RankingTile8SPP.png: File could not be read.

The frame debugger also shows nothing when enabled, Pictures included.

Attached Files:

xtinacs likes this.
  2. LeonhardP

LeonhardP

Unity Technologies

Could you please submit a bug report for this issue?

3. JohnC_Unity

JohnC_Unity

Unity Technologies

Hey Casey,

I've seen this a few times but I'm unable to get a stable reproduction. It would be great if you could submit a bug and let me know the ticket number.

Two questions if you change the scene view to albedo rendering (using the dropdown) can you see your scene? If you downgrade to 7.1.5 and restart the project does it work?

4. casey_unity415

casey_unity415

Yes, changing the scene view to Albedo will show the rendered geometry however it's in transparent checkers (picture attached).
    If I downgrade to any other version of Unity HDRP works with no issues, it's only version 3.0f3 that seems to have been affected.

Subsequently, when re-opening the project to do the bug report it said that it was importing the VR.dll... I haven't' seen that before and am not using any sort of VR in the project or settings so, perhaps that's something new? No clue just guesses as the issue persists.

It took all day to submit the bug report but, I still haven't received my confirmation email with the ticket number yet.
    as soon as I do I will post here.

Attached Files:

5. JohnC_Unity

JohnC_Unity

Unity Technologies

Thanks for taking the time to log the issue, Casey. I'll see if I can find the ticket based on your screenshots.

6. JohnC_Unity

JohnC_Unity

Unity Technologies

Hey Casey, I've been unable to find the bug. If you can share the project files i can relog the bug and send you a bug number. I've pinged you a link to where you can drop the files.

7. Sycoforge

Sycoforge

We are experiencing the same issue. Sometimes disable and enable the camera game object fixes the problem for some time.

Edit: It seems that the HDRP Settings asset has been corrupted in some way. Replacing it by the one contained in a fresh 2019.3.0f3 project, everything goes back to normal.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2019
    salvolannister and JohnC_Unity like this.
  8. JohnC_Unity

JohnC_Unity

Unity Technologies

I've managed to repo this. It seems some assets do not like HDRP and cause the HDRP Pipeline asset to brake.

There are two ways around this,

- Click Window > High Definition Render Pipe > HD Render Wizard.
    - You'll notice this screen now has errors.
    - Select "Fix all"
    - At this point, you can create a new HDRP asset. The issue here is that you will need to fix all your lighting and PPS settings, or you can use your old one.
    - If you use the old one you'll see a lot of errors being spewed to the log. Let them spew and let the scene bake.
    - Once it's finished baking, restart the project
    - Next time you start your scene it should be back to normal.

I'm going to log a bug, i'll follow up with a ticket number.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2019
    Peter77, LeonhardP and konsic like this.
  9. JohnC_Unity

JohnC_Unity

Unity Technologies

10. JohnC_Unity

JohnC_Unity

Unity Technologies

Hey Casey, thanks for the project. I've figured out why your project is not working. Steps to fix below,

- Open your project (It won't render)
    - Open package manager and remove the HD render pipe.
    - Install HD render pipe
    - Notice your scene is now rendering but looks a little odd.
    - Restart the project
    Project is now correct.

I've logged a bug here

Let me know if that works for you. Thanks again for all the help, I've found three nasty bugs out of this. :)

11. casey_unity415

casey_unity415

I did as suggested,

After unity was done re-importing the assets it suffered a hard crash.
    opening the project again, it's back to square one (picture attached) with what I'm presented with after is crashes.

Attached Files:

12. JohnC_Unity

JohnC_Unity

Unity Technologies

Thanks, Casey, I will update the ticket.

13. JohnC_Unity

JohnC_Unity

Unity Technologies

I see that's a different project, is there any way you can send that in? You should still have permissions to drop files in the previous area.

14. casey_unity415

casey_unity415

A few more hints I've found that may be of use.
    I downgraded to 3.0f1 and the problem was still present, I deleted the cache folders (shader and Unity) the script assemblies folder in the project and re-launched, the screen again went black and nothing rendering in the scene view and the editor's font changed.

Looking at the package manager the HDRP version was 7.1.7, I downgraded to 7.1.6 and now the game view shows Camera not rendering. and all gizmos not present, switching between views, the geometry briefly flashes for a frame it's visible when looking at it in some of the visualizations except for any "shaded" views or wireframe.

I launched a new HDRP project in 3.0f1 and everything worked fine!
    No errors and everything was rendered in the scene I looked at the HDRP in the package manager and saw it was version 7.1.5.
    I then went back to our project and downgraded the HDRP pipeline again from 7.1.6 to 7.1.5 and now everything rendered in the scene view per normal, however, in the game view it says no cameras rendering.

When checking the console the ALLOCATION error was spamming nonstop, even clearing, it would not stop the spamming and if it goes over 999+ for a time it will eventually crash Unity.

Hopefully this is helpful in providing more clues to single out what's going on.

15. casey_unity415

casey_unity415

So,

I completely deleted everything to do with Unity and Unity hub, Registry Keys, User files, and even our project folder as I can always download a copy later.

Fresh install of Unity Hub, Did a fresh install of 2019.3.0f4
    Launched it from the hub and created a new project

And this problem persists!!! HOW?! At this point, I can't even use Unity on this system.

Attached is what I'm presented with upon launching a fresh new project, I'm extremely frustrated at this point as it's prevented me from doing any work on the game for almost 2 weeks now.

Attached Files:

16. casey_unity415

casey_unity415

Additional edit, after updating the HDRP version from 1.6 (default in a new project) to 1.7 it seems to finally work properly.
    I'm going to try and re-download a fresh copy of our project from our repo and pray it works.

JohnC_Unity likes this.
  17. MarioRuiz

MarioRuiz

I'm experiencing the same behaviour in 2019.3.10 URP 7.3.1

salvolannister likes this.
  18. rbarreto3

rbarreto3

just to check it worked because honestly this is getting tough i have the same issues and i reimported and everything but could i update the whole of unity and see if it works or do what this said?

19. DriesVrBase

DriesVrBase

Hi, I have the same issue. currently working in URP.
    When I restart unity everything works fine. Once I start playing, the scene view goes gray. When I stop playing, it stays gray until i restart. I removed URP, installed it again. Didn't fix.
    I Upgraded to 7.4.3 (unverified version) doesn't fix it. I came from 7.3.1 which is currently verified. I'm on Unity version 2019.4.0f1 (LTS) .
    I also have a lot of these parser errors mentioned here (https://forum.unity.com/threads/cas...ween-key-and-value-within-in-2019-3-0.695074/)
    maybe they are connected somehow?
    It's kind of hard to submit this project since it's around 45gb.
    Any fixes?

20. DriesVrBase

DriesVrBase

21. Fender001

Fender001

I see this thread is still live, so figured I might as well throw in my conditions as well, since I’m experiencing same issue as OP.

Using Unity 2019.4
    Using HDRP

none of the above fixes have helped me. My HDRP wizard is all green lights, and everything appears to be setup correctly. I have a stable version when I build the library of the version stored on my PC, but when I transfer over the files into Perforce Version control, and rebuild the untracked library, I’m given an assortment of errors in the console, specifically about missing files in the Package Cache, which is in the Library. From there, my Scene view is all grey, and my game view is all black. If I try to remove and reimport HDRP, it will show my scene when HDRP is gone, but upon reimport the same issue persists, and my packages window becomes entirely unresponsive.

22. JohnC_Unity

JohnC_Unity

Unity Technologies

Hey Fender001,

Have you tried blowing away the package cache or the whole library folder?

23. jaredsainmag

jaredsainmag

I ran into the same problem, the issue for me was the file path was too long and some files weren't able to be imported (i.e. ~\UnityProjectRoot\Library\PackageCache\com.unity.render-pipelines.high-definition@7.5.1\Runtime\RenderPipelineResources\ShaderGraph\* ended up exceeding the file path limit on Windows)

I had the project nested under a few folders, and moving it so it had a shorter file path solved the problem.

Armin3600 likes this.
  24. Miguelfanclub

Miguelfanclub

Bump to this.
    Deinstalled from package manager, reinstalled and grey scene and black game windows on 2020.1.11f1

HDRP pipeline is totally messed up.

OlliQueck likes this.
  25. Barry100

Barry100

i have no skybox showing in the scene view its very annoying. infact there are no effects at all in scene view.

26. HonestCharlatan

HonestCharlatan

Stumbled upon this searching for grey editor views. Think i have similar problems. 2019.4.19f, HDRP 7.5.3, and using latest XR plug-ins. Everything works when targeting PC, but switching platforms to Android and i get a string of errors and the editor Scene and Game views are grey. gameobjects still clickable but not visible.

27. wwm0nkey

wwm0nkey

I am also getting this issue as well, just bugged out on me.Only in scene view though and only if scene lighting is enabled

Last edited: Feb 10, 2021
  28. Xandra3D

Xandra3D

I have this same issue. Unity 2020.1b and HDRP, grey scene view and black game window after playing.

29. SamuelKeller

SamuelKeller

I've also been having this issue, nothing above helped.

30. unity_1stmanleader

unity_1stmanleader

I've had the same problem and solved it by doing this. Go to your light component > delete the HD additional Light Data
    Unity will assign a new Light Data and it will fix the problem. Looks Unity doesn't automatically update the lights to hdrp as well as the materials.

31. geecey

geecey

Where is the HD additional Light Data? Is it under Lighting > Scene?

32. OlliQueck

OlliQueck

I have the same issue. scene-view grey, game-view black

Unity 2021.2.11f1
    HDRP Version 12.1.4

deleting & re-adding lights doesn't work
    all shaded scene-view-modes don't work. Wireframe-view broken as well.

33. ariszis

ariszis

i'm experiencing the same problem. hdrp just sucks.
    i'm switching to Universal this instant

34. onechain1

onechain1

Same problem - scene view is grey, and game view is black. This happens without making any changes to the scene or anything. It just happens.

35. millej23

millej23

Just happened to me out of no where using URP, grrrrrrrrrrrrrr....

36. jupiter-42

jupiter-42

I've been able to fix this by following these steps:

1. set the build to win/mac standalone
    2. uninstall HDRP
    3. remove the hdrp settings and global settings (there should be 2)
    4. reinstall HDRP
    5. use hdrp wizard to fix errors

this should work

it happened to me on 2022.10b9 when i switched my scene to webgl, hope this helps

Last edited: Apr 15, 2022
    ashtorak likes this.
  37. ashtorak

ashtorak

Had the grey scene view after switching the HDRP sample project to Linux on 2022.2.0b13. This fixed it!
    I think, you actually have to restart after uninstalling when it asks to. At least on the first try it didn't work without restarting.

38. iraandmaus

iraandmaus

I'm having the same issue. unity lts 2020.3.19f1
    completely nuked every unity file. issue persists even when creating a new sample scene project. even if I wanted to start over from scratch, I can't. reinstalling HDRP and deleting the project HDRP settings in file browser does nothing. I don't even have access to the HDRP wizard. and two red errors with nothing in them every time I start a project. switching to urp is not an option
    fedora linux. losing my mind. how does this even persist through searches where I deleted every single unity file

Last edited: Mar 10, 2023
  39. dblaauw

dblaauw

I have the same problem, none of the suggested solutions worked for me :( .

I'm on Ubuntu 22.04 LTS, using Unity 2022.2.7f1. HDRP version 14.0.6. I am able to create a new HDRP project, which works perfectly fine, but my existing project opens with Gray screen. If I delete the Library folder and open the project it works, but this means I have to delete the Lib folder every time I want to use Unity now! No errors are shown in the HDRP Wizard.

This is so very frustrating and costing us a lot of time now. The project was originally developed on Ubuntu 20.04 LTS, but the team needs to move to Ubuntu 22.04 LTS, and everything is working perfectly fine except for Unity. I'm hoping we find a solution soon, we've already lost a week now :(

40. dblaauw

dblaauw

After some more debugging, we've found that we don't need to delete the entire Library folder from the project for this to work, we just need to delete the ArtifactDB file in the Library folder. Deleting this time before opening the project "resolves" the issue, but creates insane load times :(

41. Mariel1

Mariel1

I've had the same issue over the last few days. The reason seemed to be that too many variant Shaders were being compiled. I fixed it by increasing the limit in Preference->Shader Graph->Shader Variant Limit.

dblaauw likes this.
  42. firanga

firanga

Im using URP with the same issue. Why is this is a thing for 10 years, with no fix?

43. IN_Nick

IN_Nick

I found that ticking off and on SSAO or SSGI in the HDRenderPipeline Asset did the job for me. For anyone else it may be a different setting in there. Probably the last one you ticked on.

Attached Files:

44. ZhavShaw

ZhavShaw

Having the same issue in 2022.3.8