Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice

HDRP new screen space shading

Discussion in 'Graphics Experimental Previews' started by Mark_29, Aug 2, 2019.

1. Mark_29

Mark_29

Hi - We have upgrade to 2019.2 which introduced the new screen space occlusion

The new update seems not to work well in our test scenes in comparison to the previous version. It has introduced alot of noise

We have added the occlusion to a volume and changed the settings to full resolution and tried various settings which are exposed - However nothing seems to give us a clean result.

Likewise we are unable to turn on / ff screen space shadows in the HDRP asset (not sure if this has any impact)

We are not sure if the noise is due to the specular occlusion or its just the new AO in general.

Is there a way to turn off specular occlusion and / or increase the quality settings even further?

We are using forward renderer and are looking to render to video / image sequence (which means performance for our needs is not a massive issue)

2. francescoc_unity

francescoc_unity

Unity Technologies

Hi,

Is the noise you see in a player? There is currently a known issue that is present when there is a switch between cameras (e.g. scene and game view) that has been fixed for 7.0+ packages and will soon be backported.

If that's not the case, can you please open a bug with a small repro scene?

3. Mark_29

Mark_29

There are a few issues:

1) Screen space ghosting if you have both the scene view and camera view open at the same time (easy workaround by hiding the scene view)
    2) Camera change as mentioned above (ghosting and noise - mostly ghosting / fade)
    3) Playing from the timeline - Shadows / occlusion resets. This does not resolve properly before the animation starts in the timeline - It will do one of the following:
    • has increased noise
    • or creates a hard shadows with a slight ghosting effect that resolves as the timeline progresses.
    Scrubbing the timeline also resolves the issue, however pressing play on the timeline will reset and re-create the issue

4) Noise on lower resolution with flickering - 1080p and above is ok, but anything lower is really noticeable (e.g. 720)

It might be worth noting we are using this to render animations with the recorder as oppose to using the player. All of the above issues happen in the editor whilst using timeline.

I can upload the scene file, but its pretty big (we are using alembics) - Let me know if you still want the repo

Last edited: Aug 6, 2019
    florianhanke likes this.
  4. francescoc_unity

francescoc_unity

Unity Technologies

It will still help, if you could strip it down as much as you can it would help. Please report it as a bug so it can go through our system. Scrubbing with timeline wasn't indeed a use case that we heavily tested.

The fact that you are seeing considerabler ghosting makes me think that there are problems with motion vectors.

Also, just as info, a fix for 1) is about to get through.

5. Mark_29

Mark_29

Hi There, I tried to submit a repo and bug. It keeps timing out when I upload (the project is fairly big) - Is there another way I can submit the project. The project is around 2 gigs, 1.6gigs if zipped

6. Mark_29

Mark_29

Managed to get the project file size down. Case 1185726

Its happening in 2019.3 too - not sure if this is fixable. Can post screenshots or videos here too