Search Unity

HDRP Moire Artefacts

Discussion in 'Image Effects' started by Whozi, Apr 30, 2019.

1. Whozi

Whozi

Hello,
    we have the following issue. We are using Unity HDRP with Unity 2018.3.6. We need to add a fabric texture with high frequencies to a Lit Shader material that has additionally a normal map and a mask map. The texture has mip mapping on.
    Here is a screenshot of the used texture and material:

Texture import Settings:

Material Settings:

When we apply this material to the scene a lot of artefacts (Moire effects) appear on the surface of the geometry. This effect disappears when the camera is very close to the object or very far away.
    Artefacts in The Scene:

This texture we already used in a Unity project without HDRP, where we could overcome this issue with mip mapping and Anti aliasing.
    We tried out to use different anti aliasing settings on out post process profile in the scene. However, it seems that no antialiasing mode has any effect on the screen, except the Temporal Anti Aliasing that does not work correctly all the time.
    AA Settings:

The game should run with a HD resolution and hopefully without artifacts. Does somebody has an idea? Can we for example change the distance where the mip mapping textures are switched? Or do I have to change something in order to get the Anti Aliasing working?
    We really need some Solutions for this, are we missing Something or what could be the Problem here?
    Best regards,

2. ReMix3D

ReMix3D

I think you should start lowering the aniso level of your texture to allow the mip maps to show earlier, thus preventing the moire effect.

JTPrime and Whozi like this.
  3. Whozi

Whozi

Thx for your Reply, will try this...

4. Whozi

Whozi

I tried to lower the Aniso Level of the Texture importSettings but i got same Results:

5. Zipp

Zipp

Is there a difference when the overal units are measured in Meter or Centimeter?

6. JTPrime

JTPrime

Did you adjust them on your base map or normal map? You may need to tweak your normal map a bit. Try lowering the normal map value from 1 and see if it makes a difference.

7. AlexanderElert

AlexanderElert

I add blur to my textures to remove the moire effect, if you can edit your source textures without braking your seamless you probably can try to reduce the import setting texture size to 256 or lower then increase the tilling

DEEnvironment likes this.