Search Unity

Question HDRP material that ignores indirect lighting

Discussion in 'High Definition Render Pipeline' started by kromblite, Nov 28, 2022.

1. kromblite

kromblite

So I'm fairly new to HDRP, and despite the rather steep learning curve, I'm really liking what I see.

One thing I'm struggling with, though, is creating a material for a bottomless hole in one of my objects. It's just a square hole with a black bottom, and a gradient on the sides so that the top of the hole fades into the blackness.

Problem is, the indirect lighting makes it REALLY clear that there's just a black material rather than an actual hole. Plus, I have to worry about light glaring off the material. I tried using a mask map, but either I'm not using it right, or that's not the solution. I also tried a pitch black unlit shader, but then I have no way of using a seamless gradient on the sides, so it just looks like a black square.

What's the correct way to create an HDRP material to create the illusion of a hole?

2. akent99

akent99

I don't know if it is a "correct" way (I am learning too!), but what I did was put dark localized fog to absorb light. See
    around 1:55 for example.

3. kromblite

kromblite

Fog didn't work out, but I WAS able to take the hole, apply a regular material to it, and then apply a second, semitransparent, unlit shader over it. That did the trick.

akent99 likes this.