Search Unity

HDRP makes greybox prototyping annoying

Discussion in 'High Definition Render Pipeline' started by TheCelt, Oct 25, 2020.

1. TheCelt

TheCelt

I don't know about any one else but trying to make quick levels in HDRP is a pain when you also need to setup a global volume and general graphical setup just to start making a level. Its a pain.

I zoom in and the surrounding area brightens so i can't see the area properly and all these other fancy visuals that I don't need to see in the editor window when prototyping.

In URP it's far less of a problem i can get straight into it without fiddling with the graphics setup. HDRP really needs a much better workflow its just so overwhelming and so many things to sort out just to get going...

2. dgoyette

dgoyette

A couple of things that might help:
    • You can modify the default profile settings pretty easily, turning off all the post-processing if you don't want to see it. No need to set up a volume or anything.
    • More and more, I disable Scene lighting, and use Matcap instead: upload_2020-10-26_0-31-10.png This avoid the need to set up any lighting at all. I personally also disable "Mix albedo in the Matcap" in HDRP preferences, which makes everything much easier to see. Definitely useful when blocking things in.

3. TheCelt

TheCelt

I tried turning that off and my objects go to some strange harsh colours like bright cyan, almost looks like a shader error type output lol - theres no shading so it all looks flat which makes things difficult with that switched off too.

4. Julien_Unity

Julien_Unity

Unity Technologies

Matcap is specifically designed to do what you want. It's not supposed to be flat at all (it's a constant spherical lighting function).
    The cyan color you are seeing is just a temporary material showing that the actual shader is being compiled asynchronously.