Search Unity

Question HDRP Lit Quad optimization

Discussion in 'Visual Effect Graph' started by Eleven18, Feb 26, 2023.

1. Eleven18

Eleven18

Hi,
    What is the best way to optimize particles with Output Particle HDRP Lit Quad? With rate/capacity parameters = 500/1000 I have 30 FPS. When I change Output to Output Particle Quad then with the same parameters I have 60 FPS. I understand that LIT requires lighting calculations, but is there a way to optimize this? It's a simple smoke effect. I plan to have a day and night system in the project so I would prefer if the smoke reacts to the lighting.

HDRP Lit:
    upload_2023-2-26_11-22-59.png

Normal Quad:
    upload_2023-2-26_11-23-15.png

2. JulienF_Unity

JulienF_Unity

Unity Technologies

Hi ! The main bottleneck with smoke billboards is generally overdraw. So 500/1000 quads if they are big on screen far enough to kill performance due to overdraw. Of course the more complicated the shader, the bigger the impact on performcance. I would say for smoke system, you will generally fewer big quads (Like 10 times less). There's a debug mode in HDRP to visualize the overdraw. If the whole screen is red in your case, you have to decrease your number of particles.

That being said, there are a few handles to optimize overdraw / per pixel cost:
    - You can use half res buffer in HDRP to render your smoke and update it (specify the pass in the output)
    - You can use octagons instead of quads for the primitive type in the output to reduce overdraw (A trade off between vertex count and pixel count)
    - There's the SimpleLit mode which has more toggle to tweak performance and is globally faster than standard lit
    - Alternatively you can use 6W lighting (Which is a new lit mode dedicated to render smoke in HDRP). We realeased a blogpost about it: https://blog.unity.com/engine-platform/realistic-smoke-with-6-way-lighting-in-vfx-graph

Most of the optimizations technique I described here can be found in this tutorial:

Hope this helps