Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice

Question HDRP Lightmap Relocation?

Discussion in 'High Definition Render Pipeline' started by lcompton, Jan 22, 2024.

1. lcompton

lcompton

I'm developing a game with a procedurally generated map. The easiest way to imagine it is as a randomly created dungeon. All gameplay is confined to rooms and corridors. I want to be able to create rooms as prefabs and spawn/despawn them as needed. However, because lightmaps are tied to the specific location of objects in a scene, baked lighting is a problem for this design.

I looked into lightmap relocation two years ago. At that time, there was no high level support for dynamically revising lightmaps built into Unity, although I did find a blog post and some videos about a game where they coded a lightmap relocation system. I realize that lightmaps can certainly be manipulated at a low level via existing APIs. What I'm after is something simple to use.

What I want know...
    • Is high level lightmap relocation support built into Unity now? Like I said, I looked into this two years ago. Things may have changed.
    • If not, are there any assets for lightmap relocation? I'm a one-man-show and don't have time to develop a complex system like this.