Search Unity

HDRP Lighting is Terrible

Discussion in 'High Definition Render Pipeline' started by aidangig56, Apr 2, 2020.

1. aidangig56

aidangig56

I am working on a game project, when a new player loads for the first time, they get an awful looking lighting/post processing. Trying to figure out where the source of this problem is. Maybe within quality settings? I had this issue as with everyone else, but I was able to overcome it.

Supposed to look like this

Last edited: Apr 2, 2020
  2. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

3. aidangig56

aidangig56

Thank you for your quick response. I am using Unity 2019.3.4, but I can still check that setting.

4. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Updated link above. Also: https://docs.unity3d.com/ScriptReference/DynamicGI-isConverged.html for specifics.

By older version of Unity I mean't anything that would support enlighten (it's removed from 2020.1 and hidden in new 2019.3 projects as it's deprecated).

If this is your case you can show a prerendered picture slightly blurred then fade that picture out after lighting is converged, or other scheme so it looks slick (for example).

5. aidangig56

aidangig56

Thanks for the resources so if I update the engine to 2020, it may fix this problem? I see that Unity 2020 is in beta as per the Unity Hub? Is this a stable build to try out? If so, I will back up my project and give it a shot.

6. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

No, it means you will have no GI lighting at all. It's gone. It's removed from Unity.

To fix your issue you want to hide the screen until lighting is converged. This is because enlighten is precomputed realtime GI.

If using 2020 you need to switch to progressive lightmapper, which means no realtime GI, but you might not notice if you do not change the time of the day.

7. aidangig56

aidangig56

So, best to figure out what's causing it in my current version. Thanks so much, I will keep digging. I messed around with quality settings and got a fix. Maybe if I find the right setting in there, it can get fixed.

Here are my current quality settings. I noticed that Realtime reflection probes was turned off/on for certain quality settings, maybe in consistency on a quality setting vs another, one of them worked for me by restarting my engine/build after applying one of the quality settings.

8. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

9. aidangig56

aidangig56

Thank you, I will try this out and update you :)

10. aidangig56

aidangig56

It worked, we verified! Thanks so much!

hippocoder likes this.
  11. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

No problem!

aidangig56 likes this.