Search Unity

HDRP for VR has motion blur

Discussion in 'AR/VR (XR) Discussion' started by DigitalAdam, May 26, 2020.

1. DigitalAdam

DigitalAdam

Hi, so I created a new HDRP project, installed the Oculus Integration package, added the OVRCameraRig to my scene and hit Play. When I move my head the scene gets blurry until I stop moving, then it sharpens up. It gets worse the faster I move my head around. VR works fine in 3D and URP.

I also tried it with Unity XR Plug-in Manager > Oculus. Same problem. Tried both Multi Pass and Single Pass too with little avail.

Anyone have any luck? Im running Unity 2019.3.14f1.

Thanks.

Last edited: May 26, 2020
  2. DigitalAdam

DigitalAdam

Anyone have any ideas? Thanks.

3. DigitalAdam

DigitalAdam

@mfuad

I thought I would reach out to you and see if you had a solution or suggestions on how to set up an HDRP VR project.

4. DigitalAdam

DigitalAdam

Anyone having issues with HDRP?

5. DigitalAdam

DigitalAdam

I guess I'm the only one

6. arfish

arfish

Hi,

What kind of Oculus are you building for? If it´s Go, or Quest, and the scene is complex, or your quality settings is to high for the platform, their built in processor maybe has to cut some corners to keep the frame rate up when you move your head to fast.

7. DigitalAdam

DigitalAdam

Im running the Quest with Link. So a high end PC.

8. arfish

arfish

I would try a really simple scene, just one box or something to see if it’s the same.

I've understand they are really fixated to keep a high frame rate. Some use Fixed Foveated Rendering (FFR) to just keep the center in focus, sacrificing image quality for frame rate when needed. There are some optimization tips on developer.oculus.com, have you checked their forum?

9. DigitalAdam

DigitalAdam

Thanks. I posted on the Oculus developer site too. It's probably some graphic settings that Im missing. When I start a new project and create a basic scene (plane and cube) with the default settings, I have that problem.

Are you running HDRP with VR?

10. arfish

arfish

I haven´t made anything with HDRP in VR, though it should be supported.

In my opinion its usually better to move the eyes to look around, instead of moving the head to much. It reduces the load on the processor, and I think keeping the head more steady is a good idea for those with a tendency for motion sickness (which I by the way don´t have :)).

11. a436t4ataf

a436t4ataf

Well ... HDRP isn't ready for production use yet, so a lot of us (most?) aren't using it. It's fun to play with, and if you don't mind the problems and bugs and the fact that each minor update breaks many existing shaders :) then great, go for it. But until it goes into production release (maybe 2021?) I'm using the normal renderer for everything.

(also because: SRP still is missing some of the core features that we've had since Unity v4, some of which I use in my existing projects).

(to be clear: it's great that some people are testing and pushign on the HDRP stuff, but you're always going to be in a small group compared to the ones making production games/apps who need to wait until it comes out of beta)

12. a436t4ataf

a436t4ataf

Unfortunately ... most headsets are specifically deisgned for the opposite. Quest / Oculus is a particularly strong example - it's bad rendering anywhere except the center of the visual area, and rapidly goes to "very bad" rendering as you look halfway to the edge or further - that's one of the core performance optimizations that Oculus focused on: "people look forwards".

So it's high importance to get your game running smoothly on head-movements, because that's what the hardware is optimized for.

13. arfish

arfish

Last edited: Jun 6, 2020
  14. DigitalAdam

DigitalAdam

Thanks everyone. I haven't had much luck with using HDRP, so I'm not going to use it. Like I said the blurring problem isn't an issues with using 3D and URP, only with HDRP. So I'm thinking it's a setting I'm missing. Even a simple scene like a plane and box causes that blurring issue.

15. LucasRizzotto

LucasRizzotto

Very strange why they chose to keep motion blur for VR.

16. DigitalAdam

DigitalAdam

I've given up with HDRP. URP and Standard 3D work fine with no issues.

17. MorganMistStudio

MorganMistStudio

project Settings / Hdrp Default Settings / rendering : Motion Blur

18. tbirke

tbirke

deselectin motion blur does the trick. Framerate stays stable. Thanks @MorganMistStudio

DigitalAdam likes this.
  19. Tech-Labs

Tech-Labs

Bit late to join, but I had the same issue. Using 2020.3.29 with OpenXR (Vive Pro) and HDRP.
    Going into my HDRP asset and disabling the Motion Vectors did it for me. Sure it blocks some other features but in my case that's okay.