Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice

HDRP for Oculus quest?

Discussion in 'Graphics Experimental Previews' started by MadeFromPolygons, Apr 3, 2019.

1. MadeFromPolygons

MadeFromPolygons

Would HDRP work on the oculus quest?

I ask because the main limiting factor is support of compute shaders, and the quest supports compute shaders (OpenGL ES 3.1) so this makes me think there is a small ray of hope for it working on the quest.

Yes I know performance will probably be awful, I mostly just want to know if it is even possible?

2. MadeFromPolygons

MadeFromPolygons

Nevermind I saw that it doesnt work on OpenGL (which sucks and if it did would open up the door to so much). Anyway mods, feel free to delete or lock this thread! @hippocoder @zombiegorilla @Eric5h5

EDIT: yeah, I should have searched a bit better on the package documentation before posting this, sorry!

3. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

It works on Vulkan + Metal and eventually would work on handheld VR but it's really nowhere near the right fit for mobile VR and probably will not be for a year or two...

Don't need to lock it, it's a valid discussion and you're right to ask. A fully-baked LWRP scene can match the visuals of HDRP as it's static yet correct PBR. So please give that a go. I've seen some stunning pics I can't share from devs recently in this respect...

soleron and ROBYER1 like this.
  4. MadeFromPolygons

MadeFromPolygons

Awesome, to be honest the main draw to HDRP was VFX Graph and I just yesterday got it fully working for LWRP so I really have no reason not to go the baked lighting + LWRP route! Thanks for the pointers, also to be honest I am doing a stylized game so its not like I would benefit as much from most of the HDRP goodness anyway!

hippocoder likes this.
  5. 4nntt

4nntt

HDRP is probably right for mobile VR with it in forward-only mode and lots of features turned off. You need the compute shaders to get hardware tessellation. Both Qualcomm and Apple think tessellation and displacement are important for efficient mobile graphics with high poly count. You can just add a few control points and let phong tessellation and tessellation with displacement maps do the rest. Unfortunately Unity doesn't have Oculus support for Vulkan until later this year, so can't try any of this out right now.

6. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

I don't think HDRP is suitable for any form of mobile VR for a long time to come. There is no "probably right", because that's much more "probably not".

HDRP has a hefty up-front cost that is hard to mitigate so you would have to butcher HDRP so much that it ends up looking worse than Universal/LWRP - for the time being, until mobile hardware evolves enough.

Forward in HDRP is not really faster than deferred, for a start, it's just different, with different quality targets, unless you are just using a single directional light then it might be, and it also might not be.

High end desktop VR is another question and HDRP will be awesome for that.

7. andybak

andybak

I'm looking to make a graphics intro using lit VFX Graph particles and not much else. For me HDRP is the only option and I only need a tiny fraction of it's features.

(of course - if URP/LWRP gets support for lit particles in the VFX Graph then that would change things)

8. ju_my

ju_my

Do you know if lit particles is planned for urp? And if yes when?

9. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Best make a separate thread for that.

10. chgeorgiadis

chgeorgiadis

Hey, i am sorry i have to ask here but is it possible to work HDRP on Oculus Quest 2? If not is it possible to build a HDRP Project for Quest 2 and afterwards use Oculus Link?

yubo123 likes this.
  11. rz_0lento

rz_0lento

If you use link, it's just like any PCVR game and is not specifically built for Quest 2. And yes, you can use HDRP for PC VR.

12. Neto_Kokku

Neto_Kokku

HDRP is not designed for mobile GPUs. Even if technically it could work by using Vulkan, performance would likely not be suitable for VR at all due to how things like lighting and postprocessing are implemented.

13. rz_0lento

rz_0lento

I'd debate if one should even use HDRP VR for PCVR in general but there are some niche use cases. URP / Built-in just work so much better in VR.

14. andybak

andybak

HDRP is pretty configurable. Sure if you switch everything on then it will run like a dog on mobile VR.

But if you need a couple of specific features and you can balance that by disabling other stuff then I would be surprised if you couldn't reach a reasonable frame rate.

15. Neto_Kokku

Neto_Kokku

HDRP relies on compute shaders for lighting. Even on modern phone GPUs, compute is slower than fragment shaders.

The forward+ and deferred+ lighting techniques used by HDRP also run slower on tile-based mobile GPUs than older techniques like multipass forward and light geometry based deferred.

Finally, Unity does not test HDRP on mobile devices. This means that even if you do get it to run, compatibility is guaranteed to be poor.

Different GPUs have their own quirks, and on Android there's a large variety of drivers with varying levels of compliance with GLES3 and Vulkan. Significant effort is needed to ensure features work consistently across different hardware. URP is designed and tested to support mobiles and has noticeable more compatibility issues than built-in, HDRP would fare a lot worse.

16. chgeorgiadis

chgeorgiadis

I am willing to develop a HDRP game and i will use Oculus Quest 2 with Oculus Link. As i understand from your answers i will not change (/it will be better not to change) platform to Android but i will remain on PC platform. Is that right? Thank you!

17. georgezes

georgezes

Howdy, i would appreciate your input on a simple question i have, yet this step on question proves crucial to my project.

===

I have developed my project using HDRP. I need it turned to URP now due to porting on another device.
    ---
    1. Can i have both render pipelines available on the same project? So when i change something on the URP version its also available in the HDRP version?
    2. If having both render pipelines on the project is not possible, what is the most efficient and painless way to change my project from HDRP to URP?
    3.If all fails, anyone knows if will we ever see HDRP on Quest?

davidmwabuka likes this.
  18. davidmwabuka

davidmwabuka

NO U CANT HAVE BOTH, BUT U CAN EXPORT UR PROJECT. CONVER UR SHADERS TO BUILT IN FIRST