Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Question HDRP fog that ends opaque

Discussion in 'High Definition Render Pipeline' started by alexandre-fiset, Nov 24, 2022.

1. alexandre-fiset

alexandre-fiset

In our winter mystery game, we like that the view distance can be close while realistic. But the problem we have is that Unity's fog never really goes fully opaque, like the Linear Fog did in pre-SRP versions of Unity.

This is the current look on the lowest graphics settings, see the distant trees. They never can be really invisible unless we disable their renderer, which is undesirable.

Screenshot_24-44-2022-10-44-29.png

But below is the mockup of the desired outcome. See the opaque fog, ambient-colored, hiding the trees. Being able to drastically reduce the view distance to something like that would be a godsend for lower end platforms.

Screenshot_24-44-2022-10-44-29.jpg

We really just need the fog to become "opaque" at some point, fading stuff into oblivion.

Any pointer on how to achieve that?

valarnur and nehvaleem like this.
  2. valarnur

valarnur

I was thinking to put another fog volume at distance with bigger density. But then I don't know how to move it as camera moves.

3. Remy_Unity

Remy_Unity

Unity Technologies

Here are some settings that might help :
    - Raise the fog base and maximum height : The fog density decreases with the altitude between those two values.
    - Set the "Mip Fog Max" value to 0, to fully blend the skybox with the fog color

Note that the attenuation distance is not the distance at which the fog is fully opaque, but where the fog "hides 63%" of what is seen. Physically speaking, there is no fog that fully blocks light.

Here is a gif capture of my setup:
    FogSettings.gif

chap-unity likes this.
  4. alexandre-fiset

alexandre-fiset

I know but this is the thing, this is more about optimization than physical accuracy. It's nice to have Mip Fog Near, Far and Max though, but these unfortunately aren't in any LTS version of Unity. I assume it's on HDRP 14+?

For Kona 1, built-in renderer, on Xbox One and PS4, we could have a 60m view distance. We used a linear fog which ended opaque, and it gave a nice result. Sometimes we wanted to see the sky, sometimes not, and Unity supported both ways. It's not accurate, but it works amazingly well.

For Kona 2, now with HDRP, it's harder to do that as we can always see some geometries. It's accurate, but we see things pop out of view, which makes thing looks bugged on lower end platforms.

But I guess our solution will be to have a plane that hides meshes behind it based on depth, or some kind of camera fade for our billboard trees.

5. snacktime

snacktime

Ya and no near cutoff means that with how they implement this, near is always washed out. And tuning for one end impacts the other so nearly impossible to align to an artistic goal.

6. Remy_Unity

Remy_Unity

Unity Technologies

I did my example with Unity 2021.3 LTS (iirc). Try enabling the advanced parameters in the volume component.

7. Wekthor

Wekthor

So is there no actual solution for distance based fog in HDRP? Like the one we had for years in built-in render pipeline.

8. Stardog

Stardog

We need linear fog. I can't even do a simple corridor with some fog (volumetric) at the end...

9. Ne0mega

Ne0mega

Linear fog has been talked about here for a while, but Unity has never shown any indication it will add it.
    https://forum.unity.com/threads/hdrp-linear-fog.1119646/

My guess would be it isn't technically possible to use "unscientific" fog and have it react correctly with the rest of its "physically based lighting".

No linear fog really sucks.

10. Kabinet13

Kabinet13

It's pretty easy to set up some basic linear fog in shadergraph as a custom pass, but I do wish we just got it by default.