Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice

HDRP Dynamic Ambient Mode Probe problem with indoors

Discussion in 'Graphics Experimental Previews' started by hippocoder, Mar 28, 2019.

1. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

upload_2019-3-28_22-20-15.png

I'm using the dynamic option which causes HDRP to bake a probe for us which is helpful and makes outdoor environment really nice.

The problem is in huts, caves or shaded areas, it's too brightly lit. I have time of day and open world so using unity's built in GI is not possible for performance and memory reasons.

Any suggestions on how to occlude areas from dynamic probe or perhaps point me to what I am missing will be really helpful. I was advise that occlusion probes would not help this issue due to time of day.

Please help if you can,

sqallpl likes this.
  2. Onigiri

Onigiri

Use reflection probes for indoor environments.

3. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Thanks, I have those all set up. The problem seems to be I need to bake them realtime yet still omit the ambient probe HDRP is baking each frame as well. The realtime baking part has me completely worried if I'm honest. It's overhead I just think is overkill...

Could do with relighting them somehow, rather than rebaking them, like far cry or such, but I doubt I'd make a good job of it.

Did I misunderstand?

4. xrooshka

xrooshka

That's a huge problem. I'm facing with it too. Occlusion probes must work great with time of day actually. And I found that @rizu already made the solution compatible with latest HDRP, but you have to make all of your materials with custom shader. It's not the best solution)

Maybe some VXGI solutions for HDRP is available? Maybe some hacks like projectors? CryEngine 3,6 had lightsources called Ambient Light, that can lit or darken some areas.

I'm very interested in how Escape From Tarkov team solved this problem. It looks not like Realtime GI solution but more like some tricky hack.

5. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

I believe Unity is currently fiddling with DDGI. I mean, I would happily use Enlighten with HDRP to be honest but it needs a ton more work on Unity's side. It scales badly and ends up just costing me more money to implement for larger game scenarios than it saves in time spent.

Larger studios simply don't use it, so that says a lot. However! Unity appears to be doing quite a lot of general work on GI these days (and not actually telling us any information why or what, which is maddening and far from being open).

Tartiflette likes this.
  6. xrooshka

xrooshka

But I must admit that all of the realtime raytracing technolgies requires NVidia RTX, or you just have no GI at all. For lower GPUs you need some approximation

7. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

DDGI does not require raytracing hardware, it merely scales to include it. But it depends on the implementation.

8. id0

id0

I'm using realtime GI (Enlighten) - it's look fine and works pretty fast, but now it's broken in HDRP. With this raytracing everybody go crazy and forgot about everything else. Raytraycing still too raw to use it now. No one has these video cards yet, and so it will be a couple of years or so.

9. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Not true, raytracing is here now. Unity is not just for games. Film, arch vis, other industries are heavy (and pro or enterprise) paying customers who require raytracing now, and Unity is delivering.

2019.3 is the goal for HDRP release: raytracing support is simply a feature of that.

However I will echo your sentiment and I would like some better GI support as well for non raytrace hardware.

10. keeponshading

keeponshading

On Unite there was also this nice RTXGI session.
    But up to now it s the only video who is not uploaded to the Unite Copenhagen Youtube Playlist.

Screenshot_20191010-113836.png

Also the only session without speaker names in the app.
    Here more.
    https://developer.nvidia.com/rtxgi-technology

Last edited: Oct 10, 2019
    hippocoder likes this.