Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

HDRP Displacement maps?

Discussion in 'Graphics Experimental Previews' started by lifeofllama, May 19, 2018.

1. lifeofllama

lifeofllama

I'm making a material using the HDRenderPipleline/Lit shader that comes default and there is no option for a displacement map. Very new to unity/megascans so the answer is probably simple I'm just blind. Cheers

2. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

3. Grimreaper358

Grimreaper358

The B/Blue channel isn't for displacement, it's for the Detail map mask
    upload_2018-5-19_18-25-30.png
    For displacement, if/when you set the displacement type you want to use you will get the input to add a height map
    Displacement.png

Everything is clear when you look at the options and read the tooltips for what available - Same info does to the docs/wiki

4. mephistonight

mephistonight

Can I ask, do you know, where the Input for the Height Map says 'Height Map (R)' does that mean that the texture for this shader doesn't need the full RGB channels but just the usual greyscale texture packed in to the red channel? I get it with the Mask Map as it's saving a lot of texture space that's not necessary but is this also the case with the height map?

5. Grimreaper358

Grimreaper358

Yea, this is correct. Using only the red channel will save on texture memory but you could also use the full RGB channels (Since the map is already greyscale, they will all look the same. So the texture memory will be higher but the shader will still only use the red channel) So following the tooltips for which channels to use will keep your content optimized throughout.

If you look at the content in the Book of the Dead Environment demo you can see how they optimize things for each asset. A lot can be learned from that project.

Filimindji likes this.
  6. mephistonight

mephistonight

That's cool. What a great shader. I'll have a look at the Book of the Dead environment. Thanks for your response.

Grimreaper358 likes this.