Search Unity

HDRP Decal Projector increase maximum?

Discussion in 'High Definition Render Pipeline' started by FlowFireGamesFive, Mar 30, 2021.

1. FlowFireGamesFive

FlowFireGamesFive

Hello guys,
    I'm having the following problem with the HDRP decal projectors :
    We placed a lot of projectors inside our levels (ranges for 600 to 1000 projectors per level)
    after finishing and playing different levels, in the console theres this error message popping up every second:

decal Projector.JPG

apparently theres a limit of how much decal projectors you can put inside one scene. (Which I found out by disabling projectors and testing)
    I made sure that theres nothing wrong with the projectors + materials itself.
    For example, I put in as many decals as possible just so its at the border of the maximum (where the error appears), in this case it was 727. When I duplicate a working projector and so get to 728 the error is appearing again.

For this reason I'm sure theres a cap of how many you can use at once.
    Anyway, this cap doesnt seem to be universal for other scenes.
    I tested 3 scenes and the caps were. 555, 727 and 136 ... So it appears to be a bit random.
    I tried to increase the maximum amount of decals "Maximum Clustered Decals on screen" and this didnt show any effect on the error.

Can you gimme an advice of how to increase this cap? Is it intended to have this many decals inside levels?

also related question: can you tell me if these projectors are using just one drawcall per decal material (atlas) or is it one drawcall per projector?

thanks in advance

2. Tinus

Tinus

Ran into this problem on a current project. One factor that appears to make a difference is the presence of real-time reflection probes in the scene. Remove them or set them to baked, and you can get some breathing room.