Search Unity

Question HDRP Decal material with "Affect normal" turned on looks completely white from most angles

Discussion in 'High Definition Render Pipeline' started by ZeHgS, May 22, 2022.

1. ZeHgS

ZeHgS

Hi everyone!

DESCRIPTION

I just started using decals. Unfortunately, when I have "Affect normal" turned on, my decal looks completely white from the majority of angles. Here it is with it turned on:

And here it is with it turned off, which is much closer to what I wanted:

The reason why I didn't want to turn it off is because it looks completely flat.

WHAT I TRIED

I went on Photoshop and reduced the intensity of the NM by blending the texture with the color (127, 127, 255) but it didn't work. The 3D effect became less pronounced but the whiteness continued exactly the same. I fiddle with all of the settings that I thought could be related and nothing helped.

SETTINGS

NORMAL MAP:

MATERIAL:

DECAL PROJECTOR:

Thank you all very much!

2. Win3xploder

Win3xploder

your reflection lighting is wrong, hence the glare

3. ZeHgS

ZeHgS

Thank you very much for replying!

Where is this setting? How do I fix this?

4. Win3xploder

Win3xploder

5. ZeHgS

ZeHgS

I appreciate your attempt to help me but I watched the whole video, learned nothing that I didn't already know and found absolutely no mention of anything that applies to my problem, unless I missed it. Could you please tell me exactly what the problem is?

6. Win3xploder

Win3xploder

Can you show all the channels of the mask map on that decal? If the alpha is white then the decal is probably just too glossy.

7. ZeHgS

ZeHgS

Thanks a lot for replying!

I actually figured it out, I had to tick Affect smoothness, for some reason, and then fiddle with the value. Thanks for the help!