Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice

HDRP Decal - Ignore a layer

Discussion in 'Graphics Experimental Previews' started by rastlin, May 16, 2019.

1. rastlin

rastlin

Is is possible to setup Decals in such a way so they would ignore objects from specific layers and do not project on them?

Maybe not based on layers, any alternative approach?

2. dgoyette

dgoyette

Unfortunately there isn't anything like that right now. HDRP decals are fairly limited in their dynamic uses right now. Given that they draw on everything, and don't have an angle limit, it feels like they're intended to be used as extremely thin posters on a wall, rather than dynamically placed objects with significant thickness. My decal use is mainly for showing bullet/explosion effects on objects, and it looks generally terrible if I create a decal on anything but a completely flat surface:

upload_2019-5-16_16-30-36.png

The only approach I've found to limiting it is to make the decal as thin as possible, though that makes it hard to use dynamically, as you have to be very precise about your placement.

3. TomPo

TomPo

On every material in HDPR you have a checkbox 'Receive decals'.
    Is checked by default so just uncheck it.
    But yes... this is odd... should be done via layers to tell the engine where to put decals and where not to.

4. Zaine7673

Zaine7673

Has there been any changes to this approach as this seems like it's going to create some issues/headaches in the long run?

5. Grimreaper358

Grimreaper358

GSanLob and Leniaal like this.