Search Unity

1. We are migrating the Unity Forums to Unity Discussions by the end of July. Read our announcement for more information and let us know if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

Question [HDRP] Custom render pass SetGlobalTexture issue

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by b1gry4n, Aug 29, 2020.

1. b1gry4n

b1gry4n

I am trying to render a buffer mask using a custom render pass and set a global shader texture to use this texture. I have been able to achieve the masking I want, but when I try to pass the texture to the shaders it doesnt seem to be showing up. Im not sure what i am doing wrong. I was able to achieve this in URP with a custom pass almost identical to the setup here minus the obvious differences in creating a custom pass between URP and HDRP. The only real difference I can see is I was using a temporary render texture in URP with GetTemporaryRT

Here is the meat of my custom render pass.

Code (CSharp):
    1.  protected override void Setup(ScriptableRenderContext renderContext, CommandBuffer cmd)
    2.     {
    3.         shaderTags = new ShaderTagId[3]
    4.         {
    5.             new ShaderTagId("Forward"),
    6.             new ShaderTagId("ForwardOnly"),
    7.             new ShaderTagId("")
    8.         };
    10.         maskBuffer = RTHandles.Alloc(
    11.             Vector2.one, TextureXR.slices, dimension: TextureXR.dimension,
    12.             colorFormat: GraphicsFormat.R16G16B16A16_SFloat,
    13.             useDynamicScale: true, enableRandomWrite: true,name: "_MaskBuffer"
    14.         );
    16.         maskDepthBuffer = RTHandles.Alloc(
    17.                  Vector2.one, TextureXR.slices, dimension: TextureXR.dimension,
    18.                  colorFormat: GraphicsFormat.R16_UInt, useDynamicScale: true,
    19.                  name: "_MaskBufferDepth", depthBufferBits: DepthBits.Depth16
    20.              );
    21.     }
    24. protected override void Execute(ScriptableRenderContext renderContext, CommandBuffer cmd, HDCamera hdCamera, CullingResults cullingResult)
    25.     {
    26.         if (staticMaterial == null || dynamicMaterial == null || (!drawStatic && !drawDynamic))
    27.         {
    28.             return;
    29.         }
    31.         //This is not working
    32.         //*****
    33.         cmd.SetGlobalTexture("_MaskBuffer", maskBuffer);
    34.         //I have also tried:
    35.         //cmd.SetGlobalTexture("_MaskBuffer", maskBuffer.nameID);
    36.         //cmd.SetGlobalTexture("_MaskBuffer", maskBuffer.rt);
    37.         //Shader.SetGlobalTexture("_MaskBuffer", maskBuffer);
    38.         //Shader.SetGlobalTexture("_MaskBuffer", maskBuffer.rt);
    39.         //*****
    41.         CoreUtils.SetRenderTarget(cmd, maskBuffer, maskDepthBuffer, ClearFlag.All);    
    42.         if (drawStatic)
    43.         {
    44.             Render(renderContext, cmd, hdCamera, cullingResult, staticMask, staticMaterial);
    45.         }
    46.         if (drawDynamic)
    47.         {
    48.             Render(renderContext, cmd, hdCamera, cullingResult, dynamicMask, dynamicMaterial);
    49.         }
    50.         SetCameraRenderTarget(cmd);
    51.     }
    54. void Render(ScriptableRenderContext renderContext, CommandBuffer cmd, HDCamera hdCamera, CullingResults cullingResult, LayerMask LayerMask, Material material)
    55.     {
    56.         var renstateBlock = new RenderStateBlock(RenderStateMask.Depth)
    57.         {
    58.             depthState = new DepthState(true, depthCompareFunction),
    59.             stencilState = new StencilState(false),
    60.         };
    62.         var result = new RendererListDesc(shaderTags, cullingResult, hdCamera.camera)
    63.         {
    64.             rendererConfiguration = PerObjectData.None,
    65.             renderQueueRange = GetRenderQueueRange(renderQueueType),
    66.             sortingCriteria = Sorting,
    67.             excludeObjectMotionVectors = false,
    68.             overrideMaterial = material,
    69.             overrideMaterialPassIndex = (material != null) ? material.FindPass(overrideMaterialPassName) : 0,
    70.             stateBlock = renstateBlock,
    71.             layerMask = LayerMask,
    72.         };
    74.         // Render objects into the custom buffer:
    75.         HDUtils.DrawRendererList(renderContext, cmd, RendererList.Create(result));
    76.     }

Here is the result of this pass I would like to set as a global texture as seen via frame debugger

Here is the shader and the custom function I am using to retrieve the texture.

The expected result is for the render texture to appear on the cube, but as you can see it isnt. Im not sure what I am doing wrong.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2020
  2. antoinel_unity

antoinel_unity

Unity Technologies

Hello,

when you allocate a texture with this function, Unity will allocate a Texture2DArray, because of the VR support (it's the TextureXR.dimension in parameter). So when you do your SetGlobalTexture, you're binding a Texture2DArray to a texture2D in your shader which doesn't work. To fix the issue, you can declare a Texture2DArray in the shader instead of a Texture2D or allocate a Texture2D in the C# (in that case your effect won't work with VR).