Search Unity

1. Curious about what's going to be in 2020.1? Have a look at the 2020.1 beta blog post.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Want to see 2020.1b in action? Sign up for our Beta 2020.1 Overview Webinar on April 20th for a live presentation from our evangelists and a Q&A session with guests from R&D.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Interested in giving us feedback? Join our online research interviews on a broad range of topics and share your insights with us.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. New Unity Live Help updates. Check them out here!

Dismiss Notice

HDRP Crashes Computer

Discussion in 'Graphics Experimental Previews' started by fct509, Apr 21, 2019.

1. fct509

fct509

I've been having quite a few problems with HDRP ever since Unity 2018.3 came out, and the root of those problems is that working on a project that uses HDRP will crash my system. More specifically, HDRP 4.6.0 and up will crash my system. I'm fine as long as I use Unity 2018.2 and a version of HDRP that's older than 4.6.0. I've been keeping Unity 2018.3 up to date, and I have noticed that some versions of Unity 2018.3 behave better than others. For instance, Unity 2018.3.13f1 will last nearly 5 minutes before crashing my computer, Unity 2018.3.12 will sometimes last up to 2 minutes, and 2018.3.10 would work fine as long as I didn't do anything crazy like switch to wireframe view on the scene-window.

In case you're wondering, Unity 2019.1.0f2 crashed my computer before it even finished creating a new HDRP project. Well that's not quite true, it does manage to create the project, but crashes as it's nearly finished compiling shaders and importing assets for the first time. So, that crash happened just before it managed to crash open a fresh, new HDRP project.

The current error code I get is dpc_watchdog_violation. This is the error I started getting around Unity 2018.3.8, the error before that was one that meant that my drivers were out of date (they weren't, I checked each and every one of the device drivers). I also looked up the error online, and found that the main fix is to switch over to a driver that I'm currently using.

For anyone wondering, this system plays video games just fine. It runs Unreal Engine 4.21.2 just fine. It runs Unity LWRP just fine. It runs Unity with the standard built-in pipeline just fine. It runs Blender's Cycles on the GPU and CPU just fine. The only thing crashing my system is Unity with HDRP and it does a very consistent job at crashing my system.

As for system specs., I'm running an MSI GE62VR 7RF Apache Pro (laptop), with 32-GB of memory, a Geforce GTX 1060, i7-7700HQ, Samsung 970 Pro 512-GB NVMe (OS and Editors), WD 2-TB 5400-RPM (Data and Projects), and Windows 10 Home 1809 (same issue with 1803). I don't know if this is an issue specific to my hardware configuration or if anyone else is having issues like this. Every time an updated version of Unity comes out, I test it out how it handles HDRP to see if the system crash issue has gone away, but sometimes the new version crashes faster than the previous version.

I know that HDRP is in preview, but I would expect newer versions to be more stable than older versions (not the other way around). If anyone else is having any major technical issues with HDRP, please add to this thread.

5dio likes this.
  2. jRocket

jRocket

I haven't experienced this, but have you tried switching what graphics card Unity is running? Ie. Use dedicated graphics instead of integrated or vice versa.

fct509 likes this.
  3. fct509

fct509

jRocket, thank you for your suggestion. I was able to try it out a bit, with the following results, but I'm going to need to wait for a day or two before I can really test it out.

I ended up setting Unity 2018.3 to dedicated graphics. Everything seemed to run really smoothly for a nice while. I did a few things to stress it a bit. And, then there was a full system crash with no warning when I tried to commit something. Setting it to integrated graphics, also seemed to run fine, until I tried to commit something, but that time it was only an Editor crash. I did try to submit a bug report, but after giving it an hour and a half, it was only 61% done. I just didn't have the time to wait for it to finish submitting.

Thinking back quite a few (but not all) of the crashes happen at times when there's an increase in disk I/O. Things like saving a change to a Shader Graph file have caused crashes, importing assets have caused crashes, doing something that I would assume to cause the editor to compile shaders causes a crash, and trying to commit changes to git from within Unity have caused crashes. Before you ask, I'm only using the GitHub plugin on one project that crashes; I've created plenty of other HDRP projects that crash just fine without the GitHub plugin.

I'm going to have to do some more testing in a day or two, but I still find it really odd for the entire system to crash when I use HDRP.

4. fct509

fct509

I did a bit of testing today with the graphics set to integrated. Both Unity 2018.3 and 2019.1 ran without crashing. I was able to get some actual work done on a 2018.3 project I've got going. I didn't spend very much time on it, but I did let the light map baker run for a good 30 minutes after doing that bit of work just to see if anything would crash.

I also played a bit with a fresh new 2019.1 project. I wouldn't call any of my testing extensive, but it does seem to be much more stable than before. Thanks, jRock.

5. dtumolo

dtumolo

I'm getting this now. My teammate built the HDRP stuff, and it works fine for him. But when I open the game on my machine, it gives an error about incompatibility w OpenGL. I've changed my player settings to specify it should use Metal, but it doesnt seem to be picking up that change.
    Now it seems that whenever I open those graphics settings, my entire computer crashes to black and reboots.
    A lot of tasks in Unity seem to cause that crash.
    Any idea how to fix?

6. dalco78

dalco78

I find when mine crashes it doesn't fully crash it hangs on a command, at the moment it's while editing materials it also doesn't like when i have firefox open to do tutorials. Can't do anything in the main window but the menus work. So I'm able to Save and Exit. but just before it exits a pop up opens Adding small objects. Almost like it was going to do the 'Adding small objects pop' up but it had a brain fart and locked up. So now have to restart waiting 5 mins or, so to restart, and the Checking for changes pop up... every time.

7. TreyK-47

TreyK-47

Unity Technologies

8. fct509

fct509

Wow, this is the first time in a while that I've heard of bug reporting that wasn't the Unity feed-back forum-thread. I did get a submit-report option one time after a crash that wasn't the entire system, but after 45-minutes it was less than halfway done, so I cancelled it. Anyways, thanks for the link.

Edit:
    I just re-read the original post. It looks like I mis-remembered how long the bug report upload process took.

unityunity