Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

HDRP convolved cubemaps looking horrible

Discussion in 'High Definition Render Pipeline' started by Noors84, Oct 21, 2020.

1. Noors84

Noors84

Hi,
    I'm not able to get HDRP cubemap reflections looking good.
    Here's a comparison with builtin renderer :

Both have 512 resolution. Material is pure metallic with 0.85 glossiness.
    Am I missing something since no one seems to complain ?
    Is there a way to get a better convolution ?
    Can i generate it elsewhere (Lys) ?
    Oh i'm using the dxr setup, if ever it is meaningful. I didnt test with dx11
    Thanks !

2. jjejj87

jjejj87

looks like there is compression on the HDRP. I am 100% sure but it looks like it. Maybe there is texture compression enabled for performance reasons?

3. Noors84

Noors84

Thanks, but i don't think so.
    Besides, it looks like HDRP isn't even using the precomputed convolution.
    Does it convolve the cubemap at runtime, hence the poor quality (though maybe a more physically correct behaviour?) Can someone confirm this ?

4. jjejj87

jjejj87

I could be wrong, but the textures on right is definitely not 512 (if the left is 512). It definitely has some sort of compression. I just tested in my HDRP (10.1.0 DX11) and it works just fine. BTW, this is 256 by 256 so I really doubt it is 512. The file might be 512 but it might be imported at lower res.
    reflectionProbe.jpg

Also, convolution, unless I am wrong, is an import setting (as cubemap is a texture with layout information) hence check if the texture has convolution applied.
    reflectionProbe2.jpg

Another thing is DX12 can cause this which is required for DXR. Test it with DX11.
    Hope this helps.

5. Noors84

Noors84

Thanks for your time. Indeed my HDRI map was looking fine in the sample scene. Not dependent of DX12 or DX11.
    So it appears i had some shenanigans between the exposure correction and the HDRI exposure in my scene. It's a bit obscure to me as how they are meant to work together. So i guess it is a precision issue at some point, and is not related to the cubemap size. Anyway, i cranked the exposure up on both and it looks better now.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2020