Search Unity

HDRP, Cinemachine and postprocessing

Discussion in 'Cinemachine' started by transparentz, Mar 9, 2020.

1. transparentz

transparentz

Setting up my project and trying to figure out what works best for it visually. Playing around with effects such as Depth of field, bloom, etc but a bit uncertain how to move forward. In all available tutorials, people are downloading the post-processing package and adding layers and volumes directly to cameras. However, in all the HDRP tutorials I've followed, everyone says that postprocessing is already builtin to HDRP and that I should just set up a scene-wide volume gameobject, which is what I'm currently doing.

I have no issues setting up volume effects globally, and figured out how to activate/deactivate different PP profiles in timeline when switching cameras, but now not quite sure how to achieve in-camera effects such as a rack focus. Should I download Post-Processing package and follow that way of doing things? Or is there a way to change HDRP volume effects in realtime? I tried animating those values directly in the timeline but that didn't work unfortunately.

What's the best way to achieve post-processing effects within cinemachine virtual cameras in HDRP projects? Do the old postprocessing tutorials from 2017/2018 still apply or is there an updated way to handle things such as a rack focus? Thanks.

2. gaborkb

gaborkb

Unity Technologies

HDRP (High Definition Render Pipeline) now includes Post-Processing (PP).

So, if you have Cinemachine and HDRP added to your project, then you can add PP on your vcam via the Add Extension option and selecting Cinemachine Volume Settings.
    Then, you can create a profile by clicking New or selecting one. You can add effects by clicking on Add Override (for PP, Add Override - Post Processing).

This way you can have vcams with different PP, and then switch between them in real-time. You can even blend between them. For example, from a monochrome shot to a color shot.

Attached Files:

Dan_Miller and Gregoryl like this.
  3. transparentz

transparentz

Got it, thanks a lot!

gaborkb likes this.