Search Unity

hdrp calibration scene

Discussion in 'High Definition Render Pipeline' started by lGillot, Oct 21, 2019.

1. lGillot

lGillot

Hi everybody.
    I'm kind of lost in the variety of options to light a scene with the hdrp.
    I'd like to set up a calibration scene to import my assets properly. Is there a list of options to check or even better, guidelines ?

Thanks

2. Olmi

Olmi

That list is probably defined by your game's art style and the quality requirements you set for your game.

But I would of course check the assets so that all the basic things work ok under variety of lighting conditions and so on.

Anyway I think this circles back to your art/content, set up your tests so that they serve the goal, which should be your finished game that looks good? :)

Just as an example: Lets say you are making a scifi horror game. You probably want to test the props and environments in similar lighting that will exist in the finished levels in your game? And same goes for testing effects. If you have dark, atmospheric environments, you don't want to test your particles/VFX Graph etc. effects against some blue default sky... And so on.

For actual calibration it's just the same as in real world; to calibrate something, you need to have a reference point, a standard, against which you measure your objects/effects etc. For example, how could you judge if a prop's texture was too muddy/dark and out of balance, if you test it against a changing background every day. That's why professional photography gear tests have always the same test studio/setup they shoot tests photos of. Otherwise, how would the viewers be able to compare camera x to camera y?

Last edited: Oct 21, 2019